how do i rescue a poor quality or sub-optimal oncology specimens?

stuart

Apr 15, 2021, 9:25:58 AM4/15/21
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
Can anybody suggest a method to rescue poor quality  specimens arriving for cytogenetics studies...the problem is getting worse with delays receiving samples due to the COVID lockdowns affecting courier deliveries of specimens. Sample impacted are bone marrows, bloods and solid specimens like tumour and lymph nodes?
I am sure i am not the only one with this issue.

kathren

Apr 16, 2021, 1:37:06 AM4/16/21
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
Hi Stuart its not just delays sometimes longer than 5 days!  But poor transport conditions too ...ie arriving at room temp without gel cooler bricks. Clots are another issue resulting in poor culture growth. I have supplement the blood cultures with Procell  LGS growth supplement  and all other tissue types marrows etc we use Procell BMGS growth supplement.
Blood clots are removed by Procell ACR reagent  and washed once in hanks single strength....I was suprised that using ACR even on old specimens  without blood clots improved the chances of success. Hope this helps you...there is no magic silver bullet, but you need to try something to improve the growth...

simon

Apr 19, 2021, 4:03:52 AM4/19/21
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
Old blood specimens may contain non-visible "miro-clots" so i suppose that is why treating the bloods with the anti-clotting agent would improve your chances of success.
 Prevention is still best, can you use another courier who can deliver the specimens in a timely manner?