Harvesting long chromes

perla natalia Vargas

Feb 17, 2023, 2:58:57 AM2/17/23
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
Dear community,
I am new and so glad to be here!

I have a question for you...

I am trying to sync my cell cycle in order to achieve high resolution chromes by starting my harvest when chromes are in prometaphase.
How many hours should my chromes be in culture in order to achieve this?

Also, I am shortening my colcemid exposure to 20mins (conc being 50ul)

No THY or MTX used.

Looking forward to your comments!

Kath

Mar 17, 2023, 1:46:13 AM3/17/23
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
Hi Peria,
I am new here to forum also. Saw your post. We have been adding  a elongation additive called CRA reagent, purchased from Rainbow Scientific, for several years now on all our cancer cytogenetics  tumor cultures in order to improve the chromosome resolution.  Its worth investigating. Try reducing your colcemid time further to 10 -15 minutes, this might also help you. You didnt mention what specimen type you are using? Let us know how you go.
Kath

Paul Oei

Mar 17, 2023, 4:38:33 AM3/17/23
to cytogenetics-methods...@googlegroups.com
Try using echinomycin.  Look up the references, resolution is good and provides good banding under normal GTG compared to other techniques.
Cheers
Paul

perla natalia Vargas

Apr 6, 2023, 10:43:03 PM4/6/23
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
Dear all, thank you so much!
I will look into both options then.

Kath, you recommend reducing my colcemid time but keep my conc to 50ul ? (sample vol: 250ul, 5ml media)

Thank you so much!!

perla natalia Vargas

Apr 6, 2023, 10:43:45 PM4/6/23
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
This is totally unrelated but so important as well...

I can't seem to get good looking chromes no matter what I do: cytoplasm is there and they look black under phase scope.
Once I add trypsin they are usually overtrypsinized.

my thermotron setting is as follows: 25C and 53%

my trypsin conc: 0.25%
trypsin time is usually 1;10-1:30min
trypsin vol: 4ml in 46ml of hanks solution.

I don't know where my problem is: whether in dropping the slide or in banding.

Results are always dark lookin chromes that are overtryp, not under.

Looking for advice!!

Thank you so much!!!

PS: working on bloods.

DANIEL ANDRES FABIAN VILLAGOMEZ ZAVALA

Apr 8, 2023, 8:00:33 AM4/8/23
to cytogenetics-methods...@googlegroups.com
Hi Perla,

My advice to you is as follows: Thermotron settings should be 25C and 62 humidity. Trypsinization time 45 sec. For harvesting blood use 18 min of colcemid treatment and 20 min hypotonic treatment. Drop cells after 24 hrs of  harvesting them, they will be quite good fixed.

hope this helps,

Daniel A. F. Villagomez

perla natalia Vargas

Apr 9, 2023, 2:48:07 AM4/9/23