resurrecting verry poor sub-optimal bone marrow samples

kathren

Feb 19, 2020, 5:13:11 AM2/19/20
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
From time to time our laboratory receives sub-optimal sample. Samples that arrive in the wrong collection tube, that have leaked, clotted, or were received not fresh, but several days old.
 Are there any techniques we can use to resurrect these BM so we have a good chance getting cell growth? Do you know of any methods?

tony

Feb 19, 2020, 7:02:04 AM2/19/20
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
Kathren,
the best method is to add growth promoters to your medium. This will work for most poor specimens, the only exception are frozen marrows, where nothing will help....
Our lab has been  adding  to our FBS supplemented growth media RPMI 10% BMGS (Genial Helix). Alternatively you could try adding GCT from Irving Scientific.
We call this a resurrection media for good reason! Our success rates  have improved since we have followed this protocol.

kathren

Mar 11, 2020, 5:09:36 AM3/11/20
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
Thanks for the advice, the 10% BMGS has done the trick...sub-optimal samples on the whole have grown!

tony

Jun 11, 2020, 11:44:02 PM6/11/20
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
Kathren  I have been thinking a lot about your problem...I am glad my advice helped, but for further improvement, try also consider supplying a bone marrow transport medium to your problematic collection centres. We have found that this helps with poor marrow samples rather than using blood heparin tubes.

Our recipe is:
100ml RMPI 1640 (Thermofisher)
0.1ml Pen strep (Ivitrogen)
0.1ml BMGS (Genial Genetics)
Dispense 5mL into a 10ml sterile tubes.

kathren

Aug 15, 2021, 3:19:00 AM8/15/21
to Cytogenetics methods and trouble-shooting Forum
Is the BMGS the same supplement sold by Genial the same as BMGS sold by United Biosciences?