Anything missing for 0.29.33 ?

Stefan Behnel

Dec 6, 2022, 3:23:45 AM12/6/22
to Cython-users, Cython-devel
Hi,

I'll try to push out the next 0.29.x (and hopelfully also 3.0alpha) release
before Christmas. If you think I might have forgotten anything that's ready
to be included in 0.29.33, please comment in the relevant ticket or PR, or

Stefan

Matúš Valo

Dec 6, 2022, 3:36:44 AM12/6/22
to cython-users
Hi Stefan,

when releasing 3.0 alpha it would be great to finish following PR: https://github.com/cython/cython/pull/5094

The PR has several reviews and is waiting for your final green light.

Matus

Matúš Valo

Dec 6, 2022, 3:14:32 PM12/6/22
to cython-users
Hi All,

I have a thought about Cython 3.0. Based on discussion in [1] we should be done with all breaking changes. There is also [2] but PR is already there [3] (I am not sure what is the state of the PR though).

Is it possible to make final release (In case we postpone [2] to Cython 3.1 or 3.0.X)?

Or, at least, can we move closer to final release and release beta or RC version? I think it would be great to communicate to the community how far we are from final release (not in time but e.g. this is beta/RC release and will be followed by final release).

Additional reason for release of Cython 3.0 is that in near future (Python 3.12) two important components used by Cython will be removed: imp module and distutils. In my opinion, Cython 3.0 should be released early to ensure users transition period so we can avoid back-porting this changes to 0.29.X releases.

Stefan Behnel

Dec 7, 2022, 3:36:12 AM12/7/22
to cython...@googlegroups.com, Cython-devel
Hi Matúš,

Matúš Valo schrieb am 06.12.22 um 15:58:
> I have a thought about Cython 3.0. Based on discussion in [1] we should be
> done with all breaking changes. There is also [2] but PR is already there
> [3] (I am not sure what is the state of the PR though).
>
> Is it possible to make final release (In case we postpone [2] to Cython 3.1
> or 3.0.X)?
>
> Or, at least, can we move closer to final release and release beta or RC
> version? I think it would be great to communicate to the community how far
> we are from final release (not in time but e.g. this is beta/RC release and
> will be followed by final release).
>
> Additional reason for release of Cython 3.0 is that in near future (Python
> 3.12) two important components used by Cython will be removed: imp module
> and distutils. In my opinion, Cython 3.0 should be released early to ensure
> users transition period so we can avoid back-porting this changes to 0.29.X
> releases.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> [1] https://github.com/cython/cython/issues/4022
> [2] https://github.com/cython/cython/issues/4936
> [3] https://github.com/cython/cython/pull/5016

Let's see that we get [3] merged to close [2], I think then we're ready for
a new release, once 0.29.33 is out.

As you wrote, we're through with the breaking changes for 3.0 then, so yes,
a first beta release might be appropriate.

Stefan

D Woods

Dec 7, 2022, 1:13:54 PM12/7/22
to cython-users
Hi Stefan,

I tried to reply yesterday but I don't think my email gets on with the mailing lists all the time....

I tagged a few issues on github, but mostly for 3.0.

In terms of 0.29.33 I think https://github.com/cython/cython/pull/5060 would be a good idea. It's just the forward-compatibility patch for cpow. If we're happy that we're doing cpow then I think it makes sense to get that patch in.

David