Errors attempting to run version 1.9

Mike Carter

Apr 1, 2009, 12:49:45 PM4/1/09
to Cypher Developer
I downloaded the software off the site, but am unable to get it to run
(command line, web service or API).

From the command line, I found some issues with the cypher.bat file -
it was calling com.monrai.cypher.start.Main which did not exist -
howeve I found in the cypher.sh that it calls
com.monrai.cypher.start.Cypher instead - this at least started - but I
get the error

C:\Cypher>set CYPHER_HOME
CYPHER_HOME=C:\Cypher

C:\Cypher>cypher
Apr 1, 2009 12:39:04 PM info.aduna.lang.service.ServiceRegistry <init>
INFO: Registered service class
org.openrdf.query.resultio.binary.BinaryQueryResu
ltParserFactory
Apr 1, 2009 12:39:04 PM info.aduna.lang.service.ServiceRegistry <init>
INFO: Registered service class
org.openrdf.query.resultio.sparqlxml.SPARQLResult
sXMLParserFactory
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad
version n
umber in .class file
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at com.monrai.cypher.start.CypherHelper.init(CypherHelper.java:
314)
at com.monrai.cypher.start.Cypher.main(Cypher.java:219)

after which the program just hangs.

I tried the web service instead. First, it is not looking at
CYPHER_HOME. When I try to hit
http://localhost:8080/cypher-ws/api
I get a lot of errors from tomcat showing
java.io.FileNotFoundException: \usr\apps\cypher\data\configuratin
\config.ini

If I moved my installation to C:\usr\apps\cypher then - and now get a
NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.monrai.cypher.start.CypherHelper.loadSyntax
(CypherHelper.java:150
2)
at com.monrai.cypher.start.CypherHelper.init(CypherHelper.java:
239)
at com.monrai.cypher.start.Cypher.main(Cypher.java:177)
at com.monrai.servlet.API$1.run(API.java:165)

The page comes up, but when I try any of the examples, I get no
output, and nothing in my out directories.

I then attempted to try your API example - copying the code directly
from the manual. However where are the API documents? The example is
only a code fragment - and does not compile.

So far this has been an extremely frustrating few days.

Thanks

Mike

Sherman Monroe

Jun 10, 2009, 11:36:09 AM6/10/09
to cypher-d...@googlegroups.com, mcarte...@gmail.com
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your interest in Cypher! So sorry to hear you're having problems, I hope I can help get you started.

I downloaded the software off the site, but am unable to get it to run
(command line, web service or API).

From the command line, I found some issues with the cypher.bat file -
it was calling com.monrai.cypher.start.Main which did not exist -
howeve I found in the cypher.sh that it calls
com.monrai.cypher.start.Cypher instead - this at least started - but I
get the error

Yes, let's try to get the standalone version running first, from there, we can attach the Web services app. The class file containing the main() method is com.monrai.cypher.start.Cypher, so you're on the right track there.

This is weird. Can you email the ./data/configuration/config.ini file? In particular, did you remember to change all the default dirs in that file to point to your system's dirs. I believe the version you're running may be set up to run on linux/unix.

I tried the web service instead.  First, it is not looking at
CYPHER_HOME.  When I try to hit
http://localhost:8080/cypher-ws/api
I get a lot of errors from tomcat showing
java.io.FileNotFoundException: \usr\apps\cypher\data\configuratin
\config.ini

If I moved my installation to C:\usr\apps\cypher then - and now get a
NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
       at com.monrai.cypher.start.CypherHelper.loadSyntax
(CypherHelper.java:150
2)
       at com.monrai.cypher.start.CypherHelper.init(CypherHelper.java:
239)
       at com.monrai.cypher.start.Cypher.main(Cypher.java:177)
       at com.monrai.servlet.API$1.run(API.java:165)

The page comes up, but when I try any of the examples, I get no
output, and nothing in my out directories.

This seems to confirm my hunch that the dirs are not set correctly.

I then attempted to try your API example - copying the code directly
from the manual.  However where are the API documents?  The example is
only a code fragment - and does not compile.

The example in the docs is pseudo code and will probably not compile.

So far this has been an extremely frustrating few days.

So sorry to hear this :( I hope these pointers help.

Thanks

Mike

--

Thanks,
-sherman

I pray that you may prosper in all things and be healthy, even as your soul prospers
(3 John 1:2)

Michael Carter

Jun 10, 2009, 11:42:33 AM6/10/09
to Sherman Monroe, cypher-d...@googlegroups.com
Sherman;

I appreciate the pointers, however I gave up on attempting to use
Cypher two months ago during my initial product investigation. We are
using instead GATE (http://gate.ac.uk) for our text processing since
it seems to be both more current and better supported.

Mike Carter
--
Michael Carter
Senior Software Engineer