Kate Arnold and Bikeability Instructor of the Year

Alison Hill

Jun 26, 2024, 12:10:20 PMJun 26
to Cyclox Forum Forum

Dear all.  Kate Arnold is vice-chair of Cyclox and has been nominated as Bikeability Instructor of the Year.  She has to get more  likes on the Bikeability Facebook page than the other candidates to win. Link here

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=847139497450673&set=pcb.847167147447908

Please like this page as she deserves to win!

Message from Kate Arnold

I have been nominated for Bikeability Instructor of the Year, and as part of that I am in a public vote for people's champion. At the moment this only appears to be via Facebook, I'm not sure if it will change.

Would you be able to share the link to the Facebook page below with the Cyclox members and ask for likes and/or comments? Below are some lovely words from one of the schools I work with:

Support every child

Kate was quick to learn about the individuals and build relationships, understanding the wide range of needs and adapting accordingly. She worked really well with children with additional needs, being very inclusive and ensuring they accessed every part of the course.

Demonstrate going above and beyond

The weather was atrocious for the week of bikeability - it rained consistently throughout with some very heavy downpours. Kate safely assessed where, when and how the cycling could take place, delivered the course in full waterproofs (even with these, Kate and the children still got wet through!) and kept everyone smiling and cheerful throughout.

Demonstrate dedication and commitment

Kate adapted plans to using different covered spaces, to give breaks from the rain but still keep the learning going - from laying out road scenarios in the hall and having the children act out how they would handle different situations on the road, to checking bike safety under limited shelter and using indoor classrooms for some whiteboard explanations. This was then matched with as much practical experience as possible despite the weather, focusing on developing the children's confidence and safety, without scaring or overwhelming them.

Many thanks

Kate