Speed bumps - Castle Mill & Broad St

Colin & Sally Hersom

May 10, 2023, 4:22:02 AM5/10/23
to cyclox-forum@googlegroups.com >> Cyclox Forum
At the northern end of the Castle Mill route from the station to Walton
Well Road, two speed bumps have been put in. This happened some time in
the past 6 weeks - we have not been there recently due to illness. They
are very severe for cyclists and look to be impossible for electric
scooters. Travelling southwards is particularly problematic since they
are on a double bend up hill. Does anyone know why these have been put in?

Also the narrowed section of Broad Street now has a similar bump. Not
so bad as the road is straight and level, but still a car-sized bump on
what is a major cycle route.

If they are trying to deter scooters, then surely there is a better way
of doing it since each one knows where it is and its speed can be
limited automatically.

--
Colin.

andy.c...@gmail.com

May 10, 2023, 4:33:42 AM5/10/23
to cyclox...@googlegroups.com
Hi Colin
I'm sorry you've been unwell. I also saw a photo of the Roger Dudman humps and have no idea why they are there. The others further south had a section removed to make it easier for cyclists so this is a backwards step. I think the one in Broad St across the cycle lane is to supply electricity to the temporary market set up this week.

Best wishes
Andy

Andy Chivers
12 Apsley Rd
Oxford OX2 7QY
01865 310350
Please 'LIKE' our Facebook Fan Page - it really helps.
https://www.facebook.com/Cycloxfanpage

not a member yet? Do join online at http://www.cyclox.org/join-us/ .............................
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cyclox-Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cyclox-forum/7b288eeb-a702-abb0-e45d-e8010f98d673%40soft-hedgehog.co.uk.

Graham Smith

May 10, 2023, 4:41:44 AM5/10/23
to cyclox...@googlegroups.com
Colin,
My best wishes too.

Broad St:
I can understand Andy’s thought about cable-supply but it still raises the question why such protection ‘has to be’ a barrier. I don’t believe that a better solution can’t be found. We have previously had reasonable relations with the market organiser? Can’t recall who led on this?

Roger Dudman Way. (I knew him).
Is this a private path open to the public?
It’d be quite normal to find an estate manager or bursar, ignorant of active travel issues, responding with an uninformed spite to a minor problem.
Is this in Cllr Pressel’s domain?

Graham

Sent from my iPhone

Graham Paul Smith, Urban Design
5 Western Road
Oxford, OX1 4LF
MB 07796 263836
01865 725193

On 10 May 2023, at 09:33, andy.c...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Colin

Danny Yee

May 10, 2023, 5:17:01 AM5/10/23
to cyclox...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure the "hump" on Broad St was just there to cover some cables - it appeared to be gone this morning - but really contractors should be required to use cable covers that don't create danger for cycles with smaller wheels.

Can someone take a photo of the humps on Castle Mill (is that Roger Dudman Way)?

Danny.

Graham Smith

May 10, 2023, 8:03:03 AM5/10/23
to cyclox...@googlegroups.com, Graham Smith
John Garne Way, designed to be anti cycling and the University extension is ‘not to be outdone’ in its anti-ness. Two new solid humps on a tight radius bend. It’s difficult to take a benign view of the reasoning here.

Station west side
A gap - design of accident?
image0.jpeg

A gap but undersigned, leaving unacceptable obstructions.
image1.jpeg

And mire …
image2.jpeg

Full hump force delivered here.
image3.jpeg

Narrow gaps, also a punishment design.
image4.jpeg

Then the University’s own evil continuation.
image5.jpeg

Paranoid reminder, but acknowledging other path users.
image6.jpeg

More anti-devices
image7.jpeg

Dreadful
image8.jpeg

And newly pernicious. No escape, sharp bend with Trix
mirror.
image9.jpeg

Now, designed for maximum malicious intent.
image10.jpeg

The trip hazard is proudly indicated.
image11.jpeg

“Pesky two wheelers. We’ll destroy ‘em”

Reporting by Graham Smith

Sent from my iPhone

Graham Paul Smith, Urban Design
5 Western Road
Oxford, OX1 4LF
MB 07796 263836
01865 725193

Danny Yee

May 10, 2023, 8:12:35 AM5/10/23
to cyclox...@googlegroups.com, Graham Smith
I think that's Roger Dudman Way, not John Garne Way.  This appears to be owned by Oxford Uni, so maybe a letter from Cyclox to Ed Wigzell and David Prout, asking for these to be replaced by cycle-friendly humps?  Alison?

Danny.

Graham Smith

May 10, 2023, 8:16:00 AM5/10/23
to Danny Yee, cyclox...@googlegroups.com
Danny
Quite correct: Roger Dudman Way
Must’ve been the sun.
I have forwarded the post to Ed Wigzell.

On Wed, 10 May 2023 at 13:03, Graham Smith <gpsmith.u...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Alison Hill

May 13, 2023, 8:41:42 AM5/13/23
to Cyclox Forum Forum, Danny Yee