planning application at Dragon Lane / Fyfield Road junction

Geraint Jones

May 29, 2024, 10:19:43 AMMay 29
to cyclox...@googlegroups.com
Forgive me for canvassing about a planning application; I'd like to
draw the attention of Cyclox and of users of NCN51/OCR5 Dragon Lane
to planning application 24/01059/FUL which (for a third time I think)
seeks to open a car access from the front of 12 Fyfield Road into
the bit of Norham Road between Fyfield Road, Dragon Lane, School Lane
and Benson Place, adjacent to the parking bay on the south side.
I hope that Cyclox is an automatic consultee on such applications,
but don't trust that it is. Comments are open on the City Council
planning site until 8th June, a week on Saturday.

Users of the Dragon Lane cycle route may like me feel that they want
to comment on the effect this might have on cycle traffic here. The
planning application makes claims such as that providing a parking
space at the front of this house will remove parking from the road,
even though the parking bays remain and are heavily used. Also that
access to the front of the house through this one gate will not involve
reversing in the middle of the cycle route either to enter or leave.
The road safety audit supporting the application appears to have
involved two brief site visits one in mid-morning in February and one
in early afternoon (after all the schools had broken up for the summer)
neither of which saw any cycle movements.

You may be happy with this, in which case I apologise for disturbing you.

I am concerned that the only comments from the public are brief and
lightly reasoned and in support of the application, and from a range
of addresses around North Oxford, and that none of them seem to be
from cyclists.

Graham Smith

May 29, 2024, 2:38:36 PMMay 29
to cyclox...@googlegroups.com
image

Geraint,

What a smart house conversion. Mr Dechet may be in Polo as well as investment.

I’ve glimpsed the plans. Cyclox is not a consultee.

I can’t grasp the dropped kerb … as the property wall looks untouched since way back.

I don’t see much of an issue for cycling, except with reversing out, although it’ll be down a new ramp: whether they increases intervisibility or can’t tell. I’d guess flows of users will be relatively light to not create a great danger.

The Tree Frontiers report says a cobbled ramp will rise from back of path to garden level:-

image
I can see the need to maintain the footway at a level thus any ramp from carriageway to road would best be achieved by using steeper ramp sections such as Charcon ‘Dutch kerb’.  The proposal is to reuse the existing kerbs. The point - for people walking - should be emphasised.

Thanks and I hope this is of some help.

Graham

Sent from my iPhone

Graham Paul Smith, Urban Design
5 Western Road
Oxford, OX1 4LF
MB 07796 263836
01865 725193

On 29 May 2024, at 15:19, Geraint Jones <gj.c...@rhydychen.org.uk> wrote:

Forgive me for canvassing about a planning application; I'd like to
Please 'LIKE' our Facebook Fan Page - it really helps.
https://www.facebook.com/Cycloxfanpage

not a member yet? Do join online at http://www.cyclox.org/join-us/

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cyclox-forum?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cyclox-Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cyclox-forum/202405291419.44TEJdHj262409%40linux.cs.ox.ac.uk.

Graham Smith

May 30, 2024, 10:57:31 AMMay 30
to Cyclox-Forum
I submitted this:

I am concerned about pedestrian amenity and, at a broader level, about reducing an added danger for people cycling.

_______

Inappropriate use of Safety Audit:

The RSA carried out uses the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) GG119.

I object to this.

This Manual is not applicable to roads other than Motorways and Trunk Roads.

The appropriate guidance would use Manual for Streets for all residential roads, which adds a qualitative dimension to the Audit process. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7e0035ed915d74e6223743/pdfmanforstreets.pdf

____

Dropped kerb:

The application docs state that "The existing 3m wide dropped kerb on Benson Road would be used to provide access". I wish to head-off any temptation to use a sloping footway design for any potentially newly formed Vehicle Crossover. Were this the intention of the applicant I object (in advance).

The proposal is to reuse the existing kerbs. The point - for people walking - is that a continuous smooth and flat surface is required.

I suggest that any ramp from carriageway to road would best be achieved by using steeper ramp sections such as the Charcon ‘Dutch kerb’ which maximises the amount of flat footway.

Manual for Streets figure 6.12 (previously given link) explains the concept but since 2007 the supply situation has changed and the steeper kerb is now available in UK.

The application uses this concept, of a steeper slope, it is proposed for ramping from the footway to driveway-level, using cobbles.

_______

Parking Provision on-street:

It is unclear whether the applicant suggests the possibility of reducing the length of adjacent parking provision on-street with the access to on-site parking.

I would support removal of at least one car-parking length adjacent to the dropped kerb. This is for reasons of visibility for people cycling on the National Cycle Route:  NCN51/OCR5 Dragon Lane, off Norham Road between Fyfield Road, Dragon Lane, School Lane and Benson Place, adjacent to the parking bay on the south side.

The planning application makes claims such as : providing a parking space at the front of this house will remove parking from the road, even though the parking bays remain and are heavily used. Also that access to the front of the house through this one gate will not involve reversing in the middle of the cycle route either to enter or leave. This is an important point and is supported were it made into a condition.

The (DMRB) GG119 road safety audit used in the application appears to have involved two brief site visits one in mid-morning in February and one in early afternoon (after all the schools had broken up for the summer) neither of which saw any cycle movements. This makes for an inadequate audit of users - a significant proportion of whom are young people.