Oh dear / too much cycle parking in Kilburn?

1 view

Michael Stuart

Dec 9, 2009, 5:36:27 PM12/9/09
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
From the blog of Jackie Sadek, independent chairwoman of the board for South Kilburn Partnership (SKP):

You just could not make it up.

Last night at South Kilburn we were considering the plans for a site in Carlton Vale. For a scheme with 50 homes, it has provision for 19 car parking spaces on site and a further four on the street. However we are also compelled to put in 51 bicycle spaces. One for each home and one for "the visitor".

When my eyebrows shot up, the council representatives smiled in sympathy; apparently one (relatively modest) scheme they've just had approved required provision for 500 bicycles! As one wag had it: "Well obviously if folk don't take up their bicycle entitlement it will assist rather with the car parking."

We're clearly looking to accommodate the entire Tour de France in Brent. We'll be fit in any case!