A new course in SL, this time about virtual worlds -- registration open now

Rebecca Nesson

Sep 2, 2007, 10:14:13 AM9/2/07
to cybe...@groups.google.com
Hello everyone,

This fall I am offering a course through the Harvard Extension School that is about virtual worlds.  We'll be reading some of the foundational science fiction work that led to the development of worlds like Second Life, exploring the text-based virtual world of LambdaMOO, thinking about the role of computer code in setting the laws of virtual spaces by learning to build our own programs in Scratch and our own objects in Second Life, and, of course, meeting regularly in Second Life.  There will also be an opportunity for creative collaboration with Professor Nesson's class at Harvard Law School, "Trials in Second Life".

The class is open both for distance education students and students who are able to attend locally in Cambridge.  Check out more detailed information about it on the course website, which you can find at http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nesson/e4.

Registration for the course is open now on the Harvard Extension School website.  The course title is CSCI-E4: Virtual Worlds.  http://www.extension.harvard.edu

Although the structure of at-large participation for the course isn't entirely clear yet, there will be at-large participation.  I will send out another announcement with more information on accessing the lectures and the times and locations of at-large participant meetings.

Best,
Rebecca