Be an at-large participant in Rebecca's Virtual World's course in Second Life

1 view

Rebecca Nesson

Sep 14, 2007, 2:01:21 PM9/14/07
to cybe...@groups.google.com
What: At-Large (free) participation in Second Life for Harvard Extension School course E4:Virtual Worlds.
Where: Berkman Island, Monday nights 8-10pm EST and Thursday nights 8-9pm EST.
More info: below and at http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nesson/e4
Want to sign up to receive credit?:  http://www.extension.harvard.edu

Hi all,

I'd like to invite you to be at-large participants in the course I am teaching this fall: Virtual Worlds.  The course is being offered through the Harvard Extension School and is open for enrollment to anyone who would like to sign up.  Enrolled students get the benefit of receiving credit and a grade for the course, receiving personal feedback on all of their work, and being able to participate in all of the course activities.  To learn more about the class, visit our website:  http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nesson/e4.  If you'd like to sign up, visit http://www.extension.harvard.edu and search for the course by instruction under "nesson".  The class starts Monday!

But for many of you, you may not have the time or the inclination to enroll in the course for credit but still have an interest in participating.  That's what we call at-large participation.  We believe that free access to higher education is a benefit to all involved.  For at-large participants the benefits are fairly clear: you gain access to educational materials and experiences that have substantial value and that normally one has to pay for.  As an at-large participant in our class you can attend our lectures via webcast to Berkman Island and participate in discussion using the Question Tool.  You can also attend the weekly discussions at office hours in Second Life.  For educational institutions and instructors, opening classes up to at-large participants promotes a broad awareness of the value of the education being offered at the institution and also generates a great resource for support for the class and its enrolled students.

If you'd like to be an at-large participant, there is nothing you have to sign up for and nothing you have to do.  Just come to class when you can!  You can learn more about the class and the class schedule on our website at http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nesson/e4.  The first class is on Monday night, 8-10pm EST on Berkman Island.  The first office hours will be Thursday night, 8-9pm EST, also on Berkman Island.  The only part of the class (aside from doing homework) that at-large participants will not be able to participate in are the 5 course meetings for enrolled students that will be taking place in Second Life.  For those meetings we want to keep the attendance small so that we can give as much personal attention as possible to the enrolled students.  Thanks in advance for being understanding about that.

And a final plug:  we've just found out that in this year's class we are going to be the alpha testers for a brand new project out of the MIT Media Lab in which the Scratch programming language and environment can be used for scripting the behavior of objects in SL.  All that confusing LSL stuff, forget it!  This is much easier and much more fun.  At-large participants will also be eligible to get access to the alpha test application and participate in the alpha testing of this really cool new software.

I hope to see some of you on Monday evening, either as enrolled students or at-large participants!
Best, Rebecca