How to get Cyberduck to append the index.html to the end of a URL automatically

Alexa Andres

Dec 27, 2021, 11:19:06 AM12/27/21
to Cyberduck
Hey there,

I'm new to Cyberduck and very basic in HTML coding. I was hoping someone could help me.

Here's the situation...
The problem: The customer I'm working for was told the incorrect URL for an additional HTML doc we're building for him. He had this incorrect URL printed in a few spots, so he's not happy that his users will see an error when they follow his materials. I'll give example URL's.
The incorrect example URL is: https://mnv-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/CDSG/index.com.
It was supposed to be: https://mnv-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/CDSG/index.html

Proposed solution: This customer is knowledgeable about HTML and has built his own personal website. He found a solution where you can create an "index.com" folder with an html doc inside that contains URL redirect code. This is the article he sent that he used as a reference: https://www.w3docs.com/snippets/html/how-to-redirect-a-web-page-in-html.html
This worked for his personal website. So when users type in .com in the end of his personal website, it will redirect them correctly to the .html URL.

Where I'm stuck: I've implemented this fix in Cyberduck for this customer. If you go to https://mnv-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/CDSG/index.com.index.html .... the fix works and the user is redirected to the correct URL of https://mnv-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/CDSG/index.html

BUT, if the user does not add the additional index.html at the end of that URL, I see an XML error of "access denied". It's like the index.com folder isn't recognizing that the index.html file inside is the file it should load unless you specifically call out the additional index.html at the end of the URL.

Things I've tried:
  • I've made sure that permissions are set to "everyone can read" at both the folder and the document level, so I don't think it's a permissions issue.
  • I've also tried clearing my cache after making sure the permissions were set, so that's not the issue either.
  • I've restarted/updated Cyberduck, and have tried again.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get that index.html doc to load automatically when a user only goes to the index.com folder level in the URL?
i.e.
How do I get https://mnv-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/CDSG/index.com.index.html to load when a user only types in https://mnv-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/CDSG/index.com
(Remember, index.com is a folder name in Cyberduck.)

Thank you all so much in advance!