Is it possible that Cyberduck unintentionally changes the owner/group to root when using the "Edit with" function?

porg

Feb 15, 2023, 3:07:06 PM2/15/23
to Cyberduck
On my Shared Webhosting I have a .htaccess and a .htaccess_orig backup file which I remember that I created. Today I wanted to compare the two file versions to remember how I changed my configuration two weeks ago. To my surprise I noted that .htaccess_orig had the owner and group both set to root.
  • This is really strange b/c I cannot recall that I ran chown on this file manually.
  • I can not even do this when logged in via SSH. On that webhost I cannot "chown" my own created files to root. Nor I can run "sudo chown" as sudo is not available there.
  • But I regularly use Cyberduck's functions "QuickLook" as well as "Edit with" (external application) which uses a temporary copy on my client machine and uploads changes to the server.

Could it be that Cyberduck may unintentionally sets the file owner/group on the server to root?
  • Possibly intermediary, in some stage of the SFTP protocol, and that this preliminary root ownership during the file sync/upload lifecycle accidentally remained as a leftover?
  • Possibly only under a certain condition such as the external app crashing, or Cyberduck crashing or being force-quit?

If neither the SSH env of my Shared Webhosting nor Cyberduck via SFTP has the means to chown the file then it can only be a fault in the filesystem of the Shared Webhosting (possibly bitrot) or its Docker environment. But I first wanted to know whether the cause could possibly be in Cyberduck.

Environment:
  • Client: Cyberduck 8.5.5 (39213) on macOS 11.7.2 Big Sur
  • Server: SFTP, on custom port (5-digits, assigned by my webhost), authentication with SSH key

porg

Feb 20, 2023, 7:17:44 AM2/20/23
to Cyberduck
I'd appreciate to get an estimation of this, before filing this as a bug.