Fwd: Marvelous SSIR article on Open Innovation!

Stuart Umpleby

Aug 20, 2021, 9:14:56 PM8/20/21
to cybcom
I think this article will be of interest to cyberneticians.  It is about a recent very large and on-going social experiment.
Stuart

--
Stuart A. Umpleby, Professor Emeritus of Management, George Washington University, Washington, DC; Home: P.O. Box 373, Nellysford, VA 22958, 571-305-0085http://blogs.gwu.edu/umpleby
Fall-2021-Feature-Mair-Open-Social-Innovation.pdf

William Reckmeyer

Sep 10, 2021, 2:23:36 PM9/10/21
to cyb...@googlegroups.com
Stuart-

I've been traveling and finishing an article (on Mary Catherine Bateson and the Salzburg Global Seminar), so now catching up on emails.

I wanted to thank you for the link to the OSI work in Germany.  I found it very interesting, as you suggested, and very relevant to my current project on Homo Cyberneticus.  Did you attract any interest from other cyberneticians?

Bill

William J. Reckmeyer, PhD
Norbert Wiener Gold Medal
ASC Life Fellow

Professor Emeritus | Leadership & Systems
Department of Anthropology
San José State University
San José, CA  95192-0113  USA

Stuart Umpleby

Sep 11, 2021, 8:44:13 PM9/11/21
to cybcom
Bill, there was some interest in Europe from the people organizing the WOSC 2021 conf. later this month in Moscow.
I am glad to know that you are still working with the Saltzburg Global Seminar.
Best regards, Stuart

--
Stuart A. Umpleby, Professor Emeritus of Management, George Washington University, Washington, DC; Home: P.O. Box 373, Nellysford, VA 22958, 571-305-0085http://blogs.gwu.edu/umpleby

William Reckmeyer

Sep 12, 2021, 3:23:16 PM9/12/21
to cyb...@googlegroups.com
Stuart-

Thanks for the update and - yes - still actively working with Salzburg.

On a different note - I stumbled across one of your articles recently (attached) and especially appreciated your final point, which reinforced my own views about the importance of excellence and how to encourage it.  I've been making this latter point with colleagues at SJSU, but find that most display relatively little interest in these matters - even by those who are themselves (individually or collectively or institutionally) excellent.

I'm not in favor of promoting hyper-competition, but I do believe that merit and excellence really matter despite the downsides pointed out by people like Sandel and Markovits.  Wish the cybernetics community would pay more attention to such matters, too.

In the meantime, hope all is well....

Bill

William J. Reckmeyer, PhD
Professor Emeritus | Leadership & Systems
Department of Anthropology
San José State University
San José, CA  95192-0113  USA
Umpleby (2001) Creating a Great University | GSB.pdf