Mini-brains play pong

Bernard C E Scott

Oct 12, 2022, 5:11:45 PM10/12/22
to enolagaia via ASC conversations, cyb...@googlegroups.com, Marcuello Chaime, Lucas Pawlik

Bernard C E Scott

Oct 13, 2022, 11:41:21 AM10/13/22
to conver...@asc-cybernetics.org, cyb...@googlegroups.com, Marcuello Chaime, Lucas Pawlik
Yes, in a similar vein but more powerful as a 'biocomputer' than a 'chemical computer'. Pask and Beer experimented with biological systems, too.

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 at 03:48, Tilak, Shantanu <til...@buckeyemail.osu.edu> wrote:

Isn’t this in a similar vein to Pask and Beer’s Ear experiment?

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/sres.3850100305?casa_token=HD8dYa-GsUIAAAAA:dwI9_WO1F_arBoTYZHL7jgccjkGXNnMTvKtxw3VgYnmxX3rcPTWgvHH0IrKwvDfNoT1VZwVnAr6jP70

From: James Rose <inte...@prodigy.net>
Date: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 6:35 PM
To: enolagaia via ASC conversations <conver...@asc-cybernetics.org>, cyb...@googlegroups.com <cyb...@googlegroups.com>, Marcuello Chaime <cha...@unizar.es>, Lucas Pawlik <pawlik...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ASC list] Mini-brains play pong

Bernard, Great link and research. I read the article and the KEY paragraph -for me- was: "An unpredictable stimulus was applied to the cells, and the system as a whole would reorganize its activity to better play the game ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍

Bernard,

Great link and research.   I read the article and the KEY paragraph  -for me- was:

"An unpredictable stimulus was applied to the cells, and the system as a whole would reorganize its activity to better play the game

and to minimize having a random response. You can also think that just playing the game, hitting the ball and getting predictable stimulation,

is inherently creating more predictable environments."

Excellent commentary!      Ashby and Beer relevant - as well as 'directional improvement" as an "inherent gradient potential"  ... based on INFORMATION OPTIONS SPACES rather than ENERGY.

This notion has been at the heart of my Integrity Paradigm ... universal principles of systems performance (trends).

Their Australian research is encouraging!   The extent of how many "feedbacks" were necessary to induce the productive behavior and goal identification aren't discussed in this piece but that is where I would be asking for "next answers ~ explications".  :-))))

Jamie

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 02:11:48 PM PDT, Bernard C E Scott <bern...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), help, support https://docs.google.com/document/d/11k5RfJW_ojfxl9I3rfLLnDrltB_SZ_dyPXc6xcwKHiw/