Fwd: HANSON: The real 'reset' is coming

Louis Kauffman

Apr 19, 2022, 11:46:36 AM4/19/22
to Jason the Goodman, Cybernetics discussion list, conver...@asc-cybernetics.org
Dear Jason,
You had earlier sent an article by Victor Davis Hanson.
Here is one I received in my email. This article states his position very clearly.
I do not agree with this position, but it is one that is taken by a vast number of people in the USA, and the political results he envisions may very well come to pass.
I don’t yet understand what we might do as cyberneticians to illuminate this debate.
I think we should go back to the kind of dynamic diagrams of interactions pioneered by Stafford Beer.
Not to refute Hanson or to refute present policies, but to make possible informed modeling by people so that they are not just taken in by
rhetoric like

"Closed and secure borders with only legal and measured immigration will return. Americans will demand tough police enforcement and deterrent sentencing, and a return to integration and the primacy of individual character rather than separatist fixations on the “color our skin.”
The public will continue to tune out of the partisan and mediocre “mainstream” media. We will see greater increased production of oil and natural gas to transition us slowly to a wider variety of energy, strong national defense, and deterrent foreign policies.”
By making predictions in this form of “X will come to be.”, Victor Davis Hanson enforces the possibility that indeed X will be come an existent eigenform. The eigenform can arise just from the stating of it recursively (in the absence of other interference).
E = S(S(S(S(S(…))))) implies E = E(S).
Any statement S can become a reality by its mere repetition.
The media such, such as my email that receives Victor Davis Hanson’s essay, provides the opportunity for the repetition.
Best,
Lou K.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Goldberg <cgold...@cox.net>
Subject: HANSON: The real 'reset' is coming
Date: April 17, 2022 at 7:04:56 PM CDT
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/hanson-the-real-reset-is-coming

HANSON: The real 'reset' is coming

Author of the article:
Victor Davis Hanson
Mar 24, 2022  •  March 24, 2022  •  4 minute read  •   6 Comments

President Joe Biden believes the Ukraine war will mark the start of a “new world order.” In the middle of the COVID global pandemic, Klaus Schwab and global elites likewise announced a “great reset.”

Accordingly, the nations of the world would have to surrender their sovereignty to an international body of experts. They would enlighten us on taxes, diversity, and green policies.

When former President Donald Trump got elected in 2016, marquee journalists announced partisan reporting would have to displace the old, supposedly disinterested approach to the news.

There is a common theme here.

In normal times progressives worry that they do not have public support for their policies. Only in crises do they feel that the political Left and media can merge to use apocalyptic times to ram through usually unpopular approaches to foreign and domestic problems.

We saw that last year: fleeing from Afghanistan, the embrace of critical race theory, trying to end the filibuster, pack the court, junk the Electoral College, and nationalize voting laws.

These “new orders” and “resets” always entail far bigger government and more unelected, powerful bureaucracies. Elites assume that their radical changes in energy use, media reporting, voting, sovereignty, and racial and ethnic quotas will never quite apply to themselves, the architects of such top-down changes.

So we common folk must quit fossil fuels, but not those who need to use corporate jets. Walls will not mar our borders but will protect the homes of Nancy Pelosi, Mark Zuckerberg, and Bill Gates.

Hunter Biden’s lost laptop will be declared, by fiat, not news. In contrast, the fake Alfa Bank “collusion” narrative will be national headline news for weeks. Middle class lifestyles will be curbed as we are instructed to strive for sustainability and transition to apartment living and mass transit. But the Obamas will still keep their three mansions, and Silicon Valley futurists will insist on exemptions for their yachts.

In truth, we are about to see a radical reset – of the current reset. It will be a different sort of transformation than the elites are expecting and one that they should greatly fear.

The world and the United States are furious over hyperinflation that may soon exceed 10% per year. We will be lucky if it ends only in recession or stagflation, rather than a global depression.

The mess was created by the same apparat who bought into “modern monetary theory.” That silly university idea claimed prosperity would follow vastly expanding the money supply, keeping interest rates at de facto zero levels, running huge annual deficits, piling up unsustainable national debt, and subsidizing workers to stay home.

Natural gas and oil costs are now soaring to unsustainable levels – and to the point where the middle class simply will not be able to travel, keep warm in winter, or cool in summer.

Both in Europe and the United States left-wing governments deliberately curbed drilling and non-Russian pipelines. They shut down nuclear power plants and subsidized costly, inefficient solar and wind projects. They ended up not with utopia, but with fuel shortages, high prices, and energy dependency on the world’s most repressive regimes.

The woke revolution in the West was supposed to teach us that the “white male”-dominated Western world is toxic. Its origins, ascendence, and current leisure and affluence were supposedly due only to systemic exploitation, racism, and sexism.

Elites introduced cancel culture, doxxing, deplatforming, and social ostracism to shame these supposed exploiters and to destroy their lives and careers.

Few asked how a supposedly noxious West of some 2,500 years duration became the number one destination of millions of global non-Western migrants and offered the greatest degree of global prosperity and freedom for its citizens.

So a reset reckoning is coming – in reaction to the “new orders” championed by Biden and the Davos set.

In the Nov. 2022 midterms, we are likely to see a historic “No!” to the orthodox left-wing agenda that has resulted in unsustainable inflation, unaffordable energy, war, and humiliation abroad, spiraling crime, racial hostility – as well as arrogant defiance from those who deliberately enacted these disastrous policies.

What will replace it is a return to what until recently had worked.

Closed and secure borders with only legal and measured immigration will return. Americans will demand tough police enforcement and deterrent sentencing, and a return to integration and the primacy of individual character rather than separatist fixations on the “color our skin.”

The public will continue to tune out of the partisan and mediocre “mainstream” media. We will see greater increased production of oil and natural gas to transition us slowly to a wider variety of energy, strong national defense, and deterrent foreign policies.

The prophets of the new world order sowed the wind and they will soon reap the whirlwind of an angry public worn out by elite incompetence, arrogance, and ignorance.

ub

Mar 24, 2022  •  March 24, 2022  •  4 minute read  •   6 Comments

Jason the Goodman

Apr 19, 2022, 12:07:33 PM4/19/22
to Louis Kauffman, Cybernetics discussion list, conver...@asc-cybernetics.org
Dear Lou,
Don't you think that in the context of human society, there is a factor or precondition for the recursive function to continue running, that each individual has his/her own cognitive system doing his/her own observations (in addition to or other than Hanson's) and then finds out that what Hanson is saying corresponds what he/she wants to say? I mean, the formation of what you call eigenform is not a purely passive process as implied in your formular, but a participatory process that each individual observer counts.
This also applies to the fact that half of Americans support Trump, and they are not brainless. They have their own concerns and their value systems that need to be respected.
Best - Jason

Louis Kauffman

Apr 19, 2022, 12:51:06 PM4/19/22
to Jason the Goodman, Cybernetics discussion list, conver...@asc-cybernetics.org
Dear Jason,
Alas.
The perils of syntax.
I meant
E = S(S(S(S(S(…))))) implies E = S(E).
But however to put it, the mere repetition of a slogan S can create its “reality.”
Here that reality is E so that E = S(E), the eigenform.
Put in other terms. If I keep saying it is so, and you and everyone repeats what I say, then for everyone it is so.
And thus do we create truths from lies.
It is a well-known technique for dictators.
By the time second order cybernetics came around, this technique was recognised to be at the very foundation of
how we construct our “realities”. It is much deeper than just a dictator’s trick.
There is a good set of articles on this in vonFoerster’s book “Understanding Understanding”.
I would not send the pdf of the book here, but it can be obtained if you are interested.
The article “Notes on an Epistemology for Living Things” is worth re-reading.
This article is a modern version of the Wittgenstein Tractatus,  creating the beginning of a “Theory of the Observer”.
For example:

Paul Pangaro

Apr 19, 2022, 1:53:06 PM4/19/22
to conver...@asc-cybernetics.org, Jason the Goodman, Cybernetics discussion list
Click for access to HvF's
UNDERSTANDING UNDERSTANDING

###

On Apr 19, 2022, at 12:51 PM, Louis Kauffman <lou...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
<Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 11.45.45 AM.png>

<Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 11.46.01 AM.png>

--
To adjust your EMAIL SETTINGS, if you have a google account:
https://groups.google.com/a/asc-cybernetics.org/g/conversations/membership

HELP / SUPPORT write to conversati...@asc-cybernetics.org
For membership questions contact membe...@asc-cybernetics.org
---

Jason the Goodman

Apr 19, 2022, 1:58:14 PM4/19/22
to Louis Kauffman, Cybernetics discussion list, conver...@asc-cybernetics.org
Dear Lou, I guess you missed my previous response. I'm with you about E=S(E), but just want to point out that you might have missed something in that loop - thus over-abstracted it. I'm from a totalitarian society and I'm fully aware of the brain-washing dynamics - I spent all my teenage years trying to escape from it. But here in the U.S., there are something different: people notice the rise of gas prices and grocery prices, they notice what the left teachers are doing to their kids, they also notice that mainstream media are lying - and even lost lawsuits due to their lying. I mean they have their own observations not just listening to the repeating narratives. I'm more interested in the conflicts of value systems, and have been wondering how cyberneticians would model those dynamics to make the whole picture clearer to people who are willing to learn.
Best - Jason

Jerry LR Chandler

Apr 19, 2022, 10:02:27 PM4/19/22
to Cybernetic Communications, paul.p...@asc-cybernetics.org
Hi Paul:

Thanks for posting this!

Cheers
Jerry

Louis Kauffman

Apr 20, 2022, 1:58:10 AM4/20/22
to Jason the Goodman, Cybernetics discussion list, conver...@asc-cybernetics.org
Dear Jason,
By giving the example of simple repetition I am not saying that this is all there is.
Far from it.
It is the simplest of recursions.
And remember it is not just repetition but rather the finding of some stabilities that is important.

MarkFractal.pdf
Euglena.png
Stafford-Beers-Visualization-of-the-VSM.png

Mariusz Żabiński

May 7, 2022, 5:33:59 AM5/7/22
to cyb...@googlegroups.com
Dears,

I had a chance to study a little bit how political parties and their electorates work in Poland. I see a political mechanism in that people are looking for predictability more than security in general. People often prefer a dictatorship that promises and provides some minimum framework of predictability, more than in democracies with huge uncertainties about the present and the future.  Of course, this is not a fixed deterministic mechanism. Its emergence is governed by focus. Focus is a factor that breaks the rule of rationality. People act fundamentally in their self-interest but how they see it depends on what picture of the world and the mechanisms in that world they have. Obviously, such things as the perception of being in a group and distance from those outside the group come into play. But essentially, focus governs the detailed form of the factors that influence our decisions (It is a factor strongly transforming the decision game towards to be in the border of bifurcation point). Therefore, the concept of psychological warfare (noosphere warfare), or information warfare more broadly, is a huge factor in ensuring and destabilizing national security.

A separate problem I see is that the mind, body, and component parts of humans are somewhat different systems (meronyms, holonyms, etc.). I think the interests of these different systems may differ and the way we frame the current state and classify it in detail into favorable and unfavorable events and factors ( focusing) may differ.

My conclusion on global security including security taking place in the US is the political class or more broadly the intellectual/opinion elite must create alternative visions of rational, predictable reform and development. This must happen in a personalized way based on parallel narratives, sometimes conflicting (intersecting representations of interests). Because if it is not done by these elites, it will be done by states that want to destabilize foreign countries (such as Russia in relation to Ukraine, the Baltic states, Georgia, or Poland).

Of course, in all this "focusing" we will not run away from "gravity" for this relativization, ie the objective deterioration of living conditions. However, it does not have to be a factor that absolutely leads to real destabilization. For it to lead to real destabilization, the factors shaping the resistance to these processes would have to be non-existent.

Unfortunately, I can't say what I think about the ways of modeling these processes and solving social problems resulting from the interpretation of these models because my knowledge is too small in relation to cybernetic theories.

Pozdrawiam,
Mariusz Żabiński