Inquiry Into Inquiry • On Initiative

Jon Awbrey

Jul 10, 2022, 10:15:23 AMJul 10
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Inquiry Into Inquiry • On Initiative 1
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/07/10/inquiry-into-inquiry-on-initiative-1/

Re: R.J. Lipton and K.W. Regan
https://rjlipton.wpcomstaging.com/about-me/
::: Sorting and Proving
https://rjlipton.wpcomstaging.com/2022/06/13/sorting-and-proving/

<QUOTE Lipton and Regan:>
GPT-3 works by playing a game of “guess the next word” in a phrase.
This is akin to “guess the next move” in chess and other games,
and we will have more to say about it.
</QUOTE>

As a person who struggles on a daily basis to rise to the level of sentience
I've learned it has more to do with beginning than ending this sentence.

Resources —

• Survey of Inquiry Driven Systems
( https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/12/27/survey-of-inquiry-driven-systems-3/ )

• Survey of Theme One Program
( https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/06/12/survey-of-theme-one-program-4/ )

Regards,

Jon

cc: Conceptual Graphs • Cybernetics • Laws of Form • Ontolog Forum
cc: FB | Inquiry Driven Systems • Structural Modeling • Systems Science

Jon Awbrey

Jul 20, 2022, 9:06:09 AMJul 20
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Inquiry Into Inquiry • On Initiative 2
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/07/20/inquiry-into-inquiry-on-initiative-2/

Re: Scott Aaronson ( https://scottaaronson.blog/ )
(1) ( https://scottaaronson.blog/?p=6524 )
(2) ( https://scottaaronson.blog/?p=6534 )
(3) ( https://scottaaronson.blog/?p=6541 )

<QUOTE SA:>
Personally, I'd give neither of them [Bohr or Einstein] perfect marks,
in part because they not only both missed Bell's Theorem, but failed
even to ask the requisite question (namely: what empirically verifiable
tasks can Alice and Bob use entanglement to do, that they couldn't have
done without entanglement?). But I'd give both of them very high marks
for, y'know, still being Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr.
</QUOTE>

To Ask The Requisite Question
=============================

This brings me to the question I was going to ask on the AI post,
but was afraid to ask.

Does GPT-3 ever ask an original question on its own?

Simply asking for clarification of an interlocutor's prompt is not
insignificant but I'm really interested in something more spontaneous
and “self‑starting” than that. Does it ever wake up one morning, as
it were, and find itself in a “state of question”, a state of doubt or
uncertainty so compelling as to bring it to ask on its own initiative
what we might recognize as a novel question?

Resources
=========