ASC Series Season 3#4 - One Possible Model for Designing Social Transformation

Adler Looks Jorge 蔡鷹達 - ASC

Dec 12, 2022, 7:45:28 PM12/12/22
to Cybernetic Communications
American Society for Cybernetics (ASC) presents
ASC Series Season 3#4 - One Possible Model for Designing Social Transformation

Dec 18, 2022  | 9:00 PDT, 12:00 EDT, 18:00 CET

This presentation is a multimedia systemic model embracing fundamental cybernetic concepts and ideas when exploring social Transformation.

Abstract

A fundamental premise of this presentation is nested in the triadic relationship between observers, the language they use, and the society they generate by the languaging as such.

This is my starting point.

Over the years, even decades, I have witnessed many including myself voice our longings for cybernetic models that might provoke transformative shifts in our thinking and doing in the societies we generate and create.

In her 2011 acceptance letter upon receiving the Norbert Wiener Medal, Mary Catherine Bateson called out to the ASC community to meet the need for cybernetic approaches for solving the many interconnecting problems we face. As she stated in her letter, “Who else is going to do it?”

During this multimedia presentation, with help from Diane Levings, I will offer one possible model for attempting to do just that. I will present a “wholistic” model for designing and acting in ways that might create and possibly generate, Social Transformation and a new society.

Models are not true or false, they are more or less useful. -- Stafford Beer

This systemic model is based on a variety of circularities for thinking, designing, acting and performing. It is based on 30 years of dialogue, conversations and discourse with myself and others, many of which I met through my associations with the ASC.  Mentors and colleagues alike, whose words, ideas and insights will be explored.

I have been attending ASC meetings since 1992 as a videographer. During my presentation I will  share several short video vignettes relevant to the cybernetic concepts I present.  This includes footage of many first generation second-cyberneticians, as well as current members of the ASC and cybernetic communities.

I will present for 45 minutes and in the remaining 45 minutes explore with members of the audience how this model might fit with what they are tending to now.

Participants Bios:

Judith (jude) Lombardi is a social worker turned sociology professor turned video- ethnographer. She worked with elderly and with adolescents in residential facilities as a social worker for a decade, then she was a child/family therapist and consultant for a decade, the following decade she taught sociology at a local university. In recent decades she has made movies and written several papers, usually related to cybernetics. She is a local bee steward, and recently completed a graphic novel, called The Bees’s Needs, about honeybee behavior and their current needs. In her spare time she swims and plays the snare drum in a brass band.

Diane Levings is a designer of all things, a musician, teacher, a lifelong learner and those are just the things she does for fun. She earned her undergraduate degree in Psychology at Acadia in Nova Scotia. Later, between being a youth care worker and event florist she studied cybernetics with Rodney Donaldson at Antioch in Seattle.

Paper Links

Traces Left by Herbert Brün that Orient my Cybernetics (maybe), Judith Lombardi 2020

Remembering a Message from Mary Catherine Bateson, Jude Lombardi and Larry Richards 2021

Humberto Maturana on Time: Zero-Time Cybernetics, jude lombardi and Larry Richards 2022

Video Links

Cybernetics Challenge 2017

Herbert Brün on Social Transformations

One Possible Formula for Designing Social Transformations

FREE REGISTRATION

ASC Speaker Series Team

American Society for Cybernetics

http://asc-cybernetics.org/