The state of the planet, article by Thomas Cernev

1 view

Bernard C E Scott

Jul 17, 2022, 5:00:56 PM7/17/22
to conver...@asc-cybernetics.org, cyb...@googlegroups.com, RC51onSociocybernetics, Marcuello Chaime
Dear Friends,

I saw this chap being interviewed on BBC tv this morning. I tracked down his recent article written for the UN and read it this afternoon. I recommend it.

He talks about GCRs (global catastrophic risks) and 'planetary boundaries' with data. You can download the paper here: https://www.undrr.org/publication/global-catastrophic-risk-and-planetary-boundaries-relationship-global-targets-and

He works at the Centre for Study of Existential Risk (University of Cambridge, UK); https://www.cser.ac.uk/team/tom-cernev/ . It is worth exploring the Centre's website. It has a large number of members. Among the founders, there is a world-renowned astronomer and a well-known philosopher. The advisory board includes some AI people and other scientists, one of whom does complexity studies in economics. It was sad not to see more people engaged with cybernetics and systems thinking, or the social sciences.

I have sent Thomas a brief message.

Best wishes,