My 'crime'

Bernard C E Scott

Aug 12, 2021, 3:46:42 AM8/12/21
to cyb...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

My initial 'crime' of circulating a copyrighted text was carried out inadvertently. Not that ignorance is a defence. Being reasonable is. In the online world, no one can be expected to check the legality or not of every link or text.

What I do admit to is subsequently circulating a link to the text online and noting that there are other such links where the text can be downloaded.

The reactions of Michael Lissack (ML) led me to put this business in the overall context of what is happening on this planet and events that have led up to it.

IMHO, limiting access to information/knowledge in a time of global crisis is a crime against humanity.

Once again ML puts words in my mouth. I have never stated I have the 'right' to commit a crime. If I had I might have quoted Gordon Pask on "the right of actors to interact", which is a corollary of the Law of Requisite Variety.

Instead, what I had in mind is Confucius's advice that one should decide for oneself what are one's duties and obligations and that the "The scholar/gentleperson is always on the side of the lowly."

I also take inspiration from Heinz von Foerster's advice to "act towards the future you desire" and "A is better off when B is better off."

ML has the freedom to decide where his civic duty lies, so do I.

It is sad that in his zeal to be seen as righteous in contrast my culpability, he has resorted to being an informer. My first reaction was, "No surprise there, then." He has now joined a long line of people who inform on their neighbours, friends and family in the name of doing their duty to the state. Whence 'critical cybernetics'? I hope he continues to police the internet. That should keep him busy for a while and away from those in CybCom who wish to conduct conversations courteously.

As for Springer, I may be wrong, but I think the ice caps will have melted before they take action against those who are complicit in the 'crime' that ML has reported.

I wish us all well, including ML,

Bernard

Cliff Joslyn

Aug 12, 2021, 5:11:02 AM8/12/21
to cyb...@googlegroups.com

Disposition of the copyrighted material aside, I have only seen people dancing around Michael's shameful and persistent abuse of the comity and professionalism of this venue, as he did with me last year. I, for one, will denounce him clearly here.

| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
V cajo...@gmail.com

Michael Lissack

Aug 12, 2021, 7:14:08 AM8/12/21
to cyb...@googlegroups.com
I am grateful for the denouncements by those for whom I hold no respect.

Bernard C E Scott

Aug 12, 2021, 8:12:58 AM8/12/21
to cyb...@googlegroups.com
It is good to hear from you, Cliff.

'Comity', what a nice word and concept. :-)

Best wishes,

Bernard