Survey of Pragmatic Semiotic Information

Jon Awbrey

Mar 1, 2024, 2:48:11 PMMar 1
to Conceptual Graphs, Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Survey of Pragmatic Semiotic Information • 8
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2024/03/01/survey-of-pragmatic-semiotic-information-8/

All,

This is a Survey of blog and wiki posts on a theory of information
which grows out of pragmatic semiotic ideas. All my projects are
exploratory in character but this line of inquiry is more open‑ended
than most. The question is —

• What is information and how does it impact the spectrum of activities
answering to the name of inquiry?

Setting out on what would become his lifelong quest to explore and explain
the “Logic of Science”, C.S. Peirce pierced the veil of historical confusions
obscuring the issue and fixed on what he called the “laws of information” as
the key to solving the puzzle.

The first hints of the Information Revolution in our understanding
of scientific inquiry may be traced to Peirce’s lectures of 1865–1866
at Harvard University and the Lowell Institute. There Peirce took up
“the puzzle of the validity of scientific inference” and claimed it
was “entirely removed by a consideration of the laws of information”.

Fast forward to the present and I see the Big Question as follows.
Having gone through the exercise of comparing and contrasting Peirce's
theory of information, however much it yet remains in a rough‑hewn state,
with Shannon’s paradigm so pervasively informing the ongoing revolution
in our understanding and use of information, I have reason to believe
Peirce’s idea is root and branch more general and has the potential,
with due development, to resolve many mysteries still bedeviling
our grasp of inference, information, and inquiry.

Please follow the above link for the full set of resources.
Articles and blog posts on the core ideas are linked below.

Information = Comprehension × Extension
https://oeis.org/wiki/Information_%3D_Comprehension_%C3%97_Extension

{ Information = Comprehension × Extension }
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2016/05/18/information-comprehension-x-extension/

{ Information = Comprehension × Extension } • Revisited
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2019/01/23/information-comprehension-x-extension-revisited/

Pragmatic Semiotic Information • Ψ
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2023/07/22/pragmatic-semiotic-information-%cf%88-a/

Pragmatic Semiotic Information
https://oeis.org/wiki/Pragmatic_Semiotic_Information

Peirce's Logic Of Information
https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey/Peirce%27s_Logic_Of_Information

Peirce, C.S. (1867), “Upon Logical Comprehension and Extension”
https://peirce.sitehost.iu.edu/writings/v2/w2/w2_06/v2_06.htm

Regards,

Jon

cc: https://www.academia.edu/community/5wodkP