CVXOPT - primal and dual residuals

Michael Sommerauer

Mar 15, 2023, 4:14:41 PM3/15/23
to CVXOPT
Hi,

I was looking into the CVXOPT documentation at the feasibility tolerance, specifically for coneqp and I was wondering why the primal and dual residuals are scaled by max(1, ||h||) and max(1, ||q||) respectively?

Martin

Mar 20, 2023, 4:33:10 AM3/20/23
to CVXOPT
Hi Michael,

Scaling by 1/||h|| and 1/||q|| results in relative residual norms. However, if h or q is the zero vector, then the relative residual norm is undefined. Scaling by 1/max(1,||h||) and 1/max(1,||q||) means that the stopping criteria are either the relative residual norm or the absolute residual norm, depending on ||h|| and ||q||.

Martin