CVAT.ai team: final words and statistics before the deadline to submit a GSoC 2024 proposal to CVAT.ai organization

Nikita Manovich

Apr 1, 2024, 6:39:51 AMApr 1
to cvat-gsoc-2024, Nikita Manovich, cvat-gs...@cvat.ai
Hi all,

My name is Nikita and I am an admin of the CVAT.ai organization. Thank you all for joining the group and submitting your proposals to us!

Let me provide you submit common statistics:
  • cvat-gs...@googlegroups.com group has 292 members. I hope every of you touched a real open-source project and understood how it was great to contribute to a big community.
  • 50 proposals have been submitted to CVAT.ai organization till the moment. Our team had to ignore 37 GSoC proposals because candidates didn’t setup the debugging environment and didn’t take an issue to work on.
  • 13 proposals were selected to rank. The following candidates are waiting for our initial review and we will try to provide feedback today: Akshay Dilip Kumar, Mugagga Benjie, Krishav, Edu, Kavikumar M, Andrew Lu, Vidit Agarwal, ccinv, Yeek Sheng, Bargav, Sunggat Alimbetov. IF YOU ARE SURE THAT YOU MET ALL REQUIREMENTS BUT DON’T SEE YOUR NAME IN THE LIST ABOVE, PLEASE SEND US A NOTE IMMEDIATELY (cvat-gs...@cvat.ai)
  • The following topics were covered by proposals:
    • Add or extend support for import-export formats (e.g. YOLOvN)
    • API keys and token-based auth for SDK and CL
    • Automatic Instance Segmentation for Image Annotation in CVAT
    • Internationalization and localization
    • Keyboard Shortcuts Customization
    • Load and visualize 16-bit medical images
    • Quality Control: Consensus
    • Smart Multi Object Tracking in CVAT
  • 15 PRs were merged into CVAT: https://github.com/opencv/cvat/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+GSoC2024
  • 17 PRs are open and reviewing by our team: https://github.com/opencv/cvat/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+GSoC2024

Next steps and actions:
  • Our team is open to receive your proposals till the deadline. Be sure that you have sent us a VS debugging screenshot as mentioned in the test task below. Please select a good first issue and notify our team. You will have time to send/complete all your PRs till 15 April, 2024 before we make the final ranking of all proposals.
  • Our team will provide the initial feedback on all proposals in the “selected to rank” group and help you to improve them till the deadline on April 2, 2024.
  • Our team will continue to discuss with your selected to rank proposals but you will not be able to adjust them after April 2, 2024.
  • Our team will wait for more contributions till April 15, 2024. Candidates with more accepted/merged strong PRs to CVAT repository will be honored by our team and probably ranked higher. We firmly stand by the principle that actions speak louder than words.
  • Our team will schedule an online review session and give your some tests (Python, Javascript) on an online platform to confirm your knowledge and have more objective parameters to select between equal proposals and candidates.

Some tips regarding the proposal are below:
  • Utilize a language model like ChatGPT solely for correcting grammar errors. ChatGPT will not provide guidance on how to implement a specific feature within CVAT. Avoid lengthy and unnecessary sentences.
  • Ensure a thorough understanding of the problem at hand. Justify the need for implementing the proposal. Implementing a quick and dirty solution to address the issue can enhance your understanding. Consider creating a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) or prototype which may even be developed outside of CVAT. Writing any code on the stage is optional but it will give you a better understanding of the problem.
  • Develop a detailed plan outlining how the feature will be implemented. Identify the backend and frontend components within CVAT that require modification. Familiarize yourself with the existing similar functionality in the codebase. Try to debug it and understand how it works.
  • If possible, create a diagram illustrating how the feature will operate. Every useful visualization inside a proposal is a plus.
  • Outline a few key scenarios demonstrating how the feature will function from the user's perspective. Describe how users will interact with the functionality.
  • Provide rough estimates and set boundaries for each step in the plan. Confirm that the proposed task size aligns with your perspective. Remember, that you will need to prepare high-level design (better version of your GSoC proposal), implement the feature, adjust the code after review, implement tests and documentation. Also, we will encourage you to describe your experience in a blog.
  • Explore the possibility of utilizing open-source tools, components, or libraries to aid in implementing the functionality.
  • If the feature involves a user interface, design a few mock-ups to visually represent your concepts.
  • Study how other annotation tools, such as roboflow, superannotate, label-studio, dataloop, supervisely, etc., have implemented similar features. Review their documentation for insights.

Let me remind you how to get a test task:

We will be selecting candidates based on their performance in a real practical task. Before we can consider your proposal for a project from the list provided here: https://github.com/opencv/cvat/wiki/GSoC-2024#cvat-project-ideas-list, you need to make a small contribution to CVAT. Follow the instructions below:

1. Make sure you have filled out the form: https://forms.gle/ZQtZPSqRjPJZc1CT6.
2. Familiarize yourself with our contribution guide: https://opencv.github.io/cvat/docs/contributing/. Try setting up a local instance of CVAT in a development environment using VS Code.
3. Send us (cvat-gs...@cvat.ai) a screenshot of VS Code while you are debugging the CVAT server. Place a breakpoint on a method with a "request" parameter inside https://github.com/opencv/cvat/blob/develop/cvat/apps/engine/views.py, trigger the method, and show the content of the “request" parameter in the debugger. This will help us identify candidates who have successfully set up the development environment and are ready to contribute.
4. Choose a "good first issue" on GitHub and demonstrate your skills in action: https://github.com/opencv/cvat/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22good+first+issue%22. Send us (cvat-gs...@cvat.ai) the selected issue, write a comment inside the issue, and I will assign the issue to you. Please do not select any issue and send us a message if steps 1-3 have not been completed.
5. Attempt to reproduce the selected issue/bug and ask additional questions to the submitter of the issue if necessary. If you cannot reproduce it, please comment stating so and demonstrate that the provided scenario is working as expected. Proceed to step #4 and select another issue.
6. If you can reproduce the issue, comment inside the issue describing the root cause and how you plan to fix it. Contact us (cvat-gs...@cvat.ai) and we will verify your solution and advise if necessary.
7. Prepare a pull request to the CVAT repository with the necessary changes (https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/collaborating-with-pull-requests/proposing-changes-to-your-work-with-pull-requests/creating-a-pull-request-from-a-fork). Prefix the PR with "[GSoC2024]”. Notify our team that you have completed the test task. If you find that the selected issue is too complex or too large, do not hesitate to notify us and select another issue. We will continually review existing issues and label some as "good first issue."

P.S. I encourage more experienced students to assist others. Remember, we are all part of one team. Collaboration is key to your development. Supporting each other will make us a stronger team overall.

  Nikita

abhinav sharma

Apr 1, 2024, 4:46:10 PMApr 1
to Nikita Manovich, cvat-gsoc-2024, cvat-gs...@cvat.ai
Hi Nikita
I cannot see my name ?
I have completed all debugging steps and set up CVAT in my local development environment. I have created two PRs, in which one is merged and the second is under review. My GitHub username is: abhi-bhatra

Hope you will consider my request.

Regards

Nikita Manovich

Apr 1, 2024, 4:48:16 PMApr 1
to abhinav sharma, Nikita Manovich, cvat-gsoc-2024
Hi,

Your proposal is under review. Have a great night!

  Nikita