CVAT.ai team: final words and statistics before the deadline (updated)

Nikita Manovich

Apr 2, 2024, 9:51:31 AMApr 2
to cvat-gsoc-2024, Nikita Manovich, cvat-gs...@cvat.ai
Hi all,

The deadline is mostly reached: 18:00 UTC 2 April 2024 (https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline#april_2_-_1800_utc)

Let me provide you some common statistics:
  • cvat-gsoc-2024@googlegroups.com group has 288 members. Some candidates have joined and others left.
  • 70 proposals have been submitted to CVAT.ai organization till the moment.
  • 20 proposals were selected to rank. The following candidates are in the short list: Krishav (3), Mugagga Benjie, Vidit Agarwal, ccinv, Bargav, Akshay Dilip Kumar, Yeek Sheng, Kavikumar M, Edu, Andrew Lu, Sunggat Alimbetov, chanbong, Ritik Raj, Umang P, AKxy4321, Abhi Sharma, tahamukhtar20, awdeveloper.
  • IF YOU ARE SURE THAT YOU MET ALL REQUIREMENTS BUT DON’T SEE YOUR NAME IN THE LIST ABOVE, PLEASE SEND US A NOTE IMMEDIATELY (cvat-gs...@cvat.ai)
  • The following topics were covered by proposals:
    • Add or extend support for import-export formats (e.g. YOLOvN)
    • API keys and token-based auth for SDK and CL
    • Automatic Instance Segmentation for Image Annotation in CVAT
    • Internationalization and localization
    • Keyboard Shortcuts Customization
    • Load and visualize 16-bit medical images
    • Quality Control: Consensus
    • Smart Multi Object Tracking in CVAT
  • 17 PRs were merged into CVAT: https://github.com/opencv/cvat/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+GSoC2024
  • 18 PRs are open and reviewing by our team: https://github.com/opencv/cvat/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+GSoC2024
Next steps and actions:
  • Our team is open to receive your proposals until the deadline. Be sure that you have sent us a VS debugging screenshot as mentioned in the test task below. Please select a good first issue and notify our team. You will have time to send/complete all your PRs till 15 April, 2024 before we make the final ranking of all proposals.
  • Our team will provide the initial feedback on proposals in the “selected to rank” group which were submitted before 2 April, 2024 and help you to improve them till the deadline at 18 UTC April 2, 2024.
  • Our team will continue to discuss with you selected to rank proposals but you will not be able to adjust them after April 2, 2024.
  • Our team will wait for more contributions till April 15, 2024. Candidates with more accepted/merged strong PRs to CVAT repository will be honored by our team and probably ranked higher. We firmly stand by the principle that actions speak louder than words.
  • Our team may schedule an online review session and give you some tests (Python, Javascript) on an online platform to confirm your knowledge and have more objective parameters to select between equal proposals and candidates.

Good luck and thank you to all who submitted your proposals and tried to set up the development environment. Thanks to all candidates who helped us reply to questions from other candidates. You are an awesome community. It is one of the primary reasons why our team keeps CVAT open-source!

  Nikita