Custom Maps

Johan Dijk

Mar 28, 2020, 10:28:09 AM3/28/20
to custom-m...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I noticed that scale display is not correct. Needs to be adjusted a factor of 10 if I'm not wrong.

Syncerely, Johan

Marko Teittinen

Mar 28, 2020, 10:32:25 AM3/28/20
to Johan Dijk, Custom Maps users
Hello Johan,

Thanks for contacting me. I don't see an issue with the scale display on my maps. But it is possible that there is an error in some cases. Can you send me the kmz-file that has it displayed wrong, or at least a screenshot and a little bit more explanation why you think it is wrong in that case?

Marko Teittinen

Johan Dijk

Mar 28, 2020, 11:06:37 AM3/28/20
to Marko Teittinen, Custom Maps users
Sorry Marko, I was wrong. First I thought it showed the distance between the two arrows. Now I see it shows the distance on the whole display. Thanks again for the very nice app. Mostly I use it with historical cards to get some information about specific locations.

Johan Dijk

Van: Marko Teittinen <markote...@gmail.com>
Verstuurd: zaterdag 28 maart 2020 15:32
Aan: Johan Dijk
Cc: Custom Maps users
Onderwerp: Re: [Custom Maps users] Custom Maps

Marko Teittinen

Mar 28, 2020, 12:40:33 PM3/28/20
to Johan Dijk, Custom Maps users
Johan, no problem. Displaying the scale by showing the total distance from one edge of the display to another is my own invention, and so it is not necessarily obvious that the distance refers to the full size of the display rather than the distance from one end of the line to another, like traditional scales.

But I believe showing the full span distance makes it much easier to estimate distances on screen than trying to figure out how many times a short line displayed in the corner of the screen fits between two points elsewhere. Have you noticed that you can tap the scale to switch between horizontal and vertical distance on screen?

The tutorial video is now being updated to include a little mention about the scale display and how it is used. It should appear on the app's page in Play Store within a week or two.

Thanks for contacting me. I may add a bit of explanation about the scale to the preferences page where the scale can be toggled on and off.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps