Problem when creating a new map

Maurutto

Apr 23, 2020, 5:22:19 PM4/23/20
to Custom Maps users
Hello.
I am not able to create a new map. When I try to locate the first point to adjust the image, the process stops and returns to the initial screen.
I appreciate the attention.

Marko Teittinen

Apr 24, 2020, 1:58:08 PM4/24/20
to Maurutto, Custom Maps users
Hello Maurutto,

Thanks for contacting me about this. Which version of the app are you using? Make sure you have the latest release, 1.6.2.

And if the app crashes at the point right after you have selected a point in the map image, and when you should find the same spot on Google Maps, then one possibility is that you have not allowed the app to access your location information. That would cause the app to crash (though the initial empty map list page should've asked you to allow access to location).

About the location access: Custom Maps does not send your location information anywhere (or any other information about you). And it obviously needs to know your location to be able to show your location on the map you create with it. During the map creation the location is only used for initially positioning the Google Map view (you really don't want to start panning and zooming every new map from a point in the Atlantic Ocean -- location 0,0 for latitude, longitude). Custom Maps assumes that the map you are creating is almost always closer to your current location than that arbitrary location in the Atlantic).

Let me know if this helps, and if it does not, I'd like to hear more details so that I can fix the app for you (and others who might have the same problem).

Marko Teittinen

Maurutto

Apr 24, 2020, 5:14:31 PM4/24/20
to Custom Maps users
Hello, Marko.
First of all, thank you for your attention.
My version is 1.6.2 and the APP has full permission, including for GPS. I tested with several images and the problem is repeated. It does not complete the choice of the point. When it should open the Google Earth interface, it closes suddenly.
Thanks again.

Marko Teittinen

Apr 25, 2020, 1:35:05 AM4/25/20
to Maurutto
Hey Maurutto,

I'm moving our discussion off the mailing list at this point, so we can exchange emails to solve this issue. I will summarize to the mailing list what the solution is once we find it.

Marko Teittinen

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/custom-maps-users/64e4fc80-bfa0-4521-8f5a-f3416e81689e%40googlegroups.com.

Marko Teittinen

Apr 29, 2020, 2:10:42 PM4/29/20
to Custom Maps users
Here's the promised update to anyone on this mailing list who is interested in finding out the solution to this specific problem.

After some investigation we discovered that the issue was caused by another app (possibly an old Google Maps services library), and the issue resolved itself when the phone updated the other apps.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps