Custom Maps

Piotr Stachowiak

Sep 9, 2019, 11:29:51 AM9/9/19
to custom-m...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I just want to say that this is really good and useful app. It helps me to orientate during my forest trips.

It would be perfect, but in my opinion there is only one thing missing. Possibility to mark places with short description or some kind of sign/symbol.
Are you planning to add that kind of function in future updates?

Best regards,

Piotr Stachowiak

Marko Teittinen

Sep 9, 2019, 11:42:43 AM9/9/19
to Piotr Stachowiak, Custom Maps users
Hey Piotr,

Thanks for contacting me. I'm happy to hear you find the app useful.

I have thought about adding support of adding markers on the map often, but creating a whole UI of selecting points and icons to be placed on the map (and selecting for removing or editing) is a lot of work, so I haven't done it yet. But I have already implemented support for displaying map markers.

You can actually take a Custom Maps map file from your phone or tablet (they are all in "CustomMaps" directory, and they all have .kmz extension) and move it to your laptop and open them in Google Earth (local application or the web page). And Google Earth allows you to add markers on your map. Then you need to save the map with the markers as .kmz file in Google Earth to your laptop, and copy the file back to "CustomMaps" directory on your phone. Remember to check on your phone that the map loads correctly with all the markers before heading out into the forests.

I know that is not very convenient, but that's all I have for now.

Marko Teittinen

Laurent Pittis

Sep 12, 2019, 4:06:44 PM9/12/19
to custom-m...@googlegroups.com
Hallo,

Wad passiert mit dieser neue Ausgabe ??

Keine möglichkeit mehr .kmz zu senden. Share Map findet nichts.
Keine Angabe/Anzeige mehr von Ortennamen oder Städten in Earth, fast keine in Maps.

Une wahrscheindlich noch andere Sorgen zu erwarten, oder ?

Schade.

Beste Grüsse

Laurent Pittis

Marko Teittinen

Sep 12, 2019, 4:16:03 PM9/12/19
to Laurent Pittis, Custom Maps users
Translation of the original message done by Google Translate:

Wad happens with this new edition ??
No possibility to send more .kmz. Share Map finds nothing. No information / display more of city names or cities in Earth, almost none in Maps.
You're likely to expect other worries, right?
Too bad.
Best regards
Laurent Pittis

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I did not realize the newer versions of Android changed something and now the OS fails to share binary files with types it does not recognize.

I didn't expect any issues with this, but I will look into this and try to get this fixed.

I don't have any workaround at this time, but you can try using a file manager app, and finding your map file in "CustomMaps" directory in the storage, and then try sharing the file using the file manager app. If you try and succeed, I would appreciate if you let me know which app you used to successfully share a map.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps

tropenband

Sep 12, 2019, 5:10:27 PM9/12/19
to Marko Teittinen, Laurent Pittis, Custom Maps users
Wow, that's not good news. So a good reason to wait with the android update.

Please allow one question concerning the sample area around the tiepoints: in the changelog it says, these areas have been enlarged. I did not see any differences with regards to older versions.
For my personal needs, they are still much to small. Would it be possible to further enlarge this area? Not meaning the scale factor, but the actually visible dimensions of the overlay map. Thanks

Tim

Von: Marko Teittinen <markote...@gmail.com>
Datum: 12.09.19 22:15 (GMT+01:00)
An: Laurent Pittis <tome...@gmail.com>
Cc: Custom Maps users <custom-m...@googlegroups.com>
Betreff: Re: [Custom Maps users] Custom Maps

Marko Teittinen

Sep 13, 2019, 1:59:21 AM9/13/19
to tropenband, Laurent Pittis, Custom Maps users
On closer inspection, the bug was my own fault. There was an announced change how files need to be shared starting with Android 7.0 (Nougat), but I didn't realize to adjust file sharing in the Custom Maps 1.5 update.

For some reason map sharing worked on my tablet that runs Android 7.1.1. However, my phone runs Android 9 (Oreo) and I was able to reproduce the sharing problem on that. Luckily the fix was not too difficult, so I have already pushed a new version (1.5.1 beta 1) to beta channel.

Please install the new version and verify that map sharing works for you in the new version. If you are not a beta tester, you can join (and leave) beta tester group on web page https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.custommapsapp.android. Once I have heard some reports that the new map sharing fixes the issue, I will push it to all other users.

Thank you Laurent for reporting the bug.

Tim, about the sample areas around the tiepoints. If you are using Custom Maps 1.5, the sample areas are twice as large as before. What kind of device are you using? I can only imagine that you have a super high resolution screen that makes the sample areas look very small. Knowing your device manufacturer and model number would allow me to find information about your screen resolution and investigate the issue further. I feel that the current size of the samples is pretty good even if the map image is generated from PDF that is rendered at 300 dpi.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps

Von: Marko Teittinen
Datum: 12.09.19 22:15 (GMT+01:00)