New Beta Release: 1.6 beta 3

Marko Teittinen

Feb 7, 2020, 12:05:52 AM2/7/20
to Custom Maps users
Notable updates in this beta release (1.6 beta 3)
  • Fixes Custom Maps crashing at startup on Android 4.4 (API 19)
    • I have recently moved to using vector based icons in many places throughout the application, and Android 4.4 doesn't fully support vector based icons. This version of Custom Maps adds proper support for vector icons in Android 4.4
  • New darker icon indicating user's location on the map
    • The user location icon that Custom Maps has used since the initial launch is not always easy to spot on map with white or light colored background, which is majority of them. I have created a new user location icon that is easier to spot on white background, and maybe in the next beta version (beta 4) I will allow selecting either mostly white or dark user location icon.
  • Hungarian translation completed
    • Version 1.6 betas have added a few new phrases to the UI. Those have been now translated into Hungarian.
  • Scale display overlap with distance/heading label is reduced
    • Version 1.6 added an optional scale view to lower left corner of the map display (it defaults to being visible). When the scale display and the "distance and heading to center of the screen" label are both displayed at the same time, the views overlap slightly on smaller screens. I have reduced the possibility of the overlap occurring, but it can still occur in some instances. I'm hoping to get a permanent fix in the next beta version
I have additional things still planned for 1.6 release, but I wanted to release a new beta version now that I discovered that Custom Maps completely crashes on startup for Android 4.4 users.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps

Bart Eisenberg

Feb 8, 2020, 12:38:38 PM2/8/20
to Custom Maps users
The scale display & "distance to center of the screen" labels now look fine on my Pixel 3.

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 9:05:52 PM UTC-8, Marko Teittinen wrote:
[...]
    • Version 1.6 added an optional scale view to lower left corner of the map display (it defaults to being visible). When the label are both displayed at the same time, the views overlap slightly on smaller screens. I have reduced the possibility of the overlap occurring, but it can still occur in some instances. I'm hoping to get a permanent fix in the next beta version