Fwd: REA PDF

Mauricio Helipilot

Nov 29, 2021, 12:31:22 PM11/29/21
to custom-m...@googlegroups.com
Dear app creator,

I have tried to install this annex chart to air navigate on it. Unfortunately the app returns with a message warning the size of the chart is too large.
Is there a way to walk around? This app would be very useful for pilots.

Thanks
Mauricio

CCV_REH_TMA-SP_e_VALE_DO_PARAÍBA.pdf

Tobias Ekman

Nov 29, 2021, 4:27:41 PM11/29/21
to Mauricio Helipilot, Custom Maps users
Hello. Remove the special character " Í " from the filename and it will work fine. A small bug in the current version regarding filenames and special characters.
/Tobias

Marko Teittinen

Nov 30, 2021, 3:36:04 AM11/30/21
to Tobias Ekman, Mauricio Helipilot, Custom Maps users
Tobias,

Thanks for answering Mauricio before I had a chance. Indeed, replacing the special letter i with one without the accent mark on it made the PDF work for me on my Pixel 5a.

But note that the PDF size is huge. The image produced from that PDF is 13,200 x 10,200 pixels which is a whopping 134.6 megapixels! I think that is the largest image that I have ever seen working in Custom Maps. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was too for phones running an older version of Android, or phones with less RAM. My Pixel 5a is running Android 12 and it has 8 GB of RAM.

If a PDF map image is really too large for Custom Maps to handle, it could be converted into a JPG image using an image editor like Gimp (or printed as a JPG image on a Mac), and then scaling the JPG image to be small enough that it fits into the phone's memory. But the current version has the special character handling bug also with JPG images, so it is best to stick to using letters A-Z, a-z, digits 0-9, and dash and underscore (- and _) characters in filenames.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps

Doug Schwartz

Nov 30, 2021, 1:29:22 PM11/30/21
to Custom Maps users
As an experiment, I tried a 200MP image, and it worked, albeit with a little lag in loading.  Phone: LG V60, 8GB RAM, Android 11.  Image was downloaded from HERE as a .jp2 (JPEG 2000) and converted in GIMP at 100% resolution to a .jpg,, resulting in a 94MB file with dimensions of 16294 x 12320.  Once the map is opened in the app (after a little lag) it performs like any other one.  It had zero impact on RAM usage when opened, the same amount was free before and after.

On a Xiaomi Mi 9T, 6GB RAM, Android 10, it produced a crash message 3 times while making the map, but I pressed WAIT and it immediately recovered.  i.e., that was also successful.

On a Samsung Galaxy A11, 4GB RAM, Android 10, it failed.  So I exported the KMZ from the original phone to Google Drive (94 MB) and downloaded it into the Samsung, but it was too weak to open the map.

Doug Schwartz

Mauricio Helipilot

Dec 1, 2021, 5:26:46 AM12/1/21
to Marko Teittinen, Tobias Ekman, Custom Maps users
Thanks guys for the procedure. It did work on my pixel 3 running android 12.
Marko you are right, the file is ruge and quite difficult to georeference it. It will be more useful on a pad.

Mauricio