A couple of questions !

Rob Brown

Sep 6, 2021, 4:07:26 AM9/6/21
to Custom Maps users
Hi, This is an excellent app - just what I've been looking for.
A  couple of things would make it fantastic and ideal for my hiking:

Would it be possible to also give bearing as well as distance from user location? I appreciate this may have to be True not Magnetic but would be very useful.

Also could the files be stored on the phone's expansion SD card ? My internal phone memory is almost full and I cannot seem to access the SD card from your file menu.

Incidentally I notice that after I create a map from, say, a 10 Mb imported jpeg there is now a 10Mb kmz file and another 10 Mb jpeg in the ' Images ' folder. So 30 Mb from a 10 Mb original - can I just keep the kmz and delete the other 2 ?

Again - excellent app and thanks for creating it. R

Rob Brown

Sep 6, 2021, 10:02:16 AM9/6/21
to Custom Maps users

Have just enabled the 'show heading' preference - excellent!
Would still appreciate info on my other queries though.
Thanks R.

Marko Teittinen

Sep 7, 2021, 12:51:35 AM9/7/21
to Rob Brown, Custom Maps users
Rob,

I'm happy to hear you like my little app.

Regarding storing the data files elsewhere. I have both good and bad news for you. I'll start with the bad: currently it is not possible to move the maps away from the "CustomMaps" folder in internal storage.

Then the good news: I am almost finished with the next version of the app that will copy the data file from the "public" CustomMaps directory into the apps' internal storage area. That is good news for you because Android itself should then allow to move the app to the external storage (i.e. SD card) and then all the maps move with the app. This change makes it a little bit more inconvenient to manage the maps, but the new version of the app will improve individual map sharing and it adds an "export all maps" menu option which copies all maps to Google Drive for example. That will make it possible to move the maps to a new phone. Unfortunately, maps need to be imported one at a time. Any map opened using a file manager will be copied into the internal memory.

And regarding the duplication of the 10MB used in storage for both the image and the .kmz file: the "images" folder is basically a cache folder where the app unpacks the current map image from the kmz file when a map is opened. Kmz files themselves are basically zip-files that contain the map location definition and the related map image. You can delete the files "Images" folder at any time, but an image file is always copied there when a map is opened.

I'm planning on publishing the new version to the open beta channel soon.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps