Map size error

Henrik E Jakobsen

Dec 21, 2021, 6:30:45 PM12/21/21
to Custom Maps users
Hi,
I just downloaded the app and got it working with some scanned picture files - very satisfied.
Now I created some more specialized maps with hight information. Unfortunately these maps will not load - keepå getting the "map wass too large" error message, even though I have made the map weeeery small.
I have attached a couple of different size maps and I hope someone can help.

My test maps are JPG files created from PDF files generated from a map tool - https://sdfekort.dk/spatialmap (its in danish language)
Hope you can help - thanks!
Højde foto - Almindsø - 150 max.jpg
Hoejde foto - Almindsoe small.jpg

Marko Teittinen

Dec 21, 2021, 10:31:13 PM12/21/21
to Henrik E Jakobsen, Custom Maps users
Henrik,

Unfortunately, the current Custom Maps version (1.8.1) has a bug that causes the "map image is too large" error message to be shown when the filename of a map image (jpg, png, gif) contains spaces or special characters. If you rename the image files to contain only letters (A-Z, a-z), digits (0-9), and dashes and underscores (- and _) the images should open without problems. Sorry about this issue. It will be fixed in the next version.

But did you know that you probably could use the pdf files without converting them to jpg images first? Custom Maps has had pdf file support for quite some time now.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps

Henrik E Jakobsen

Dec 22, 2021, 6:07:29 AM12/22/21
to Custom Maps users
Hi Marko,
I tried with PDF files first but - had problems and switched to JPG's in my search for a solution (back to basics :) ) but nothing helped - I even tried removing the special danish caracters "ÆØÅ" from the file name but that didn't help either. Didn't had the thourght that I shoul also remove the "spaces" -  -
After renaming everything works well and I where even able to open the rather big PDF's directly in the app - great thanks !

Regards Henrik

PS: For future work it would be a fantastic tool if it was possible to mix two or maps in one view - like in the preview function - but having two different maps opened at the same time for easy comparison and switch between the two.
Eg. via a transparacy slider or a sliding curtain actross the screen.

As a hobby I work with LIDAR photos, air/sat photos and old maps as an amaterur archeolog to find not natual patterns that often reveal work or constructions done by human hand - and comparison between the different maps often give a clue to which places to look - and GPS alligned hand held maps is a very good tool to find my way and recognize the terrain.