File size Nirvana

Doug Schwartz

Dec 25, 2018, 8:55:17 PM12/25/18
to custom-m...@googlegroups.com
Marko has stated the maximum file size is a function of how much memory the system can allocate.  I just did a 71 MP jpg (21 MB file size) with no problem on a Xiaomi MI 8 with 6 GB of RAM, Android 9.  I don't believe the phone could have handled this file in Android 8.

2018 was a transitional year for Android, with it being retooled to permit high accuracy location information.  The Xiaomi MI 8 was the first device to carry the new dual frequency GPS chips, which will allow 30 cm accuracy (as opposed to around 4 m accuracy from previous chips), while using half the power.  The upgrade earlier this month to Android 9 finally allowed them to receive dual frequency, but the manufacturer still has not implemented a fix to allow the receiver to access this ability.  They released this amazing video over the summer, but it turned out it was a preview of coming attractions, rather than a feature that was already available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI0TdX7HCwU

A few other phones have since come out with the new chips, but I have no idea if any are actually delivering enhanced accuracy yet.  Some of the US and EU satellites are broadcasting in both frequencies, and more are planned.  The Chinese system will have global coverage in 2020, and will provide cm accuracy: http://en.yibada.com/articles/132467/20160617/beidou-navigation-satellite-system-chinas-more-accurate-version-of-gps-nears-completion.htm

Thus in a year or two the world will be getting use to 30 cm positioning accuracy, and applications such as Custom Maps will only increase in utility.  Plans are to eventually go to around 1 cm accuracy, using three frequencies, but the world will first have to get used to (and find uses for) 30 cm accuracy.

Doug Schwartz