Feature request: Allow update of map image

Tyron Montgomery

Nov 26, 2023, 9:25:44 PM11/26/23
to Custom Maps users
Hi Marko,

First of all: Amazing app!!! I really love it ❤️

Long-pressing a map allows me to modify map name, description and tiepoints, but not the map image. It would be extremely cool if this were possible.

Reason: Some of my maps need to be updated regularly, i.e. changes are made to the image, but the image size or the map position doesn't change. Currently, I need to create a new map every time and set the tiepoints again.

It would be helpful if "modify map" would also contain the option to load a new image into the map without changing the tiepoints.

An alternative might be to allow maps that do not contain the image in the KMZ file but that simply work with a reference to a file, either on the Internet or in the local file system (so they would basically only contain the XML part). Updating the image file would then automatically update the map.

Have a great day,
Tyron

Marko Teittinen

Nov 29, 2023, 11:27:15 AM11/29/23
to Tyron Montgomery, Custom Maps users
Thanks for your message, Tyron.

I can see how that would be useful. I might include that option in some future version. But until I get to that point, there is maybe a bit easier way to update the map image.

The kmz files are actually just regular zip files that contain both the map image and the kml markup file (text) that contains the tiepoints. If you export your map to somewhere where you can just replace the image file inside it with a zip management app, you can then delete the old version in Custom Maps, and import the new file into its place. If you don't delete the old map you will end up with two maps with matching names and descriptions making it difficult to tell which one is which.

I hope this helps at least a little bit.

Marko Teittinen