Custom Maps

Robin Blomkvist

Nov 4, 2021, 11:41:49 AM11/4/21
to custom-m...@googlegroups.com
Hey. After latest upgrade I cannot find or open any maps. Only create new ones.

How do i get already existing maps into the apps "internal storage"?

//Robin

Marko Teittinen

Nov 4, 2021, 11:57:38 AM11/4/21
to Custom Maps users
To get the existing maps into Custom Maps app's internal storage, you need to open them with a file manager like Google Files. The map files are located in folder named "CustomMaps" on your "external storage".  Tapping them should open them in Custom Maps, and at that point Custom Maps makes a copy of the map into the internal storage. Once you see all your maps in the map list, you can delete the CustomMaps folder from external storage.

When version 1.8.1 is launches the first time, it tries to do this map transfer by itself, but I am guessing that the app may have lost its permission to "read external storage" from some users who haven't used the app in a while.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps

Marko Teittinen

Nov 4, 2021, 8:57:17 PM11/4/21
to Custom Maps users
We sorted this out in a separate email thread. There was an additional problem, but we were able to solve it.

He tried opening the kmz files using his default file manager (Samsung's "My Files"), but it said that no app on his phone can handle the kmz files. I suggested that he tries again with Google's Files app, and when he opened the maps using Google Files, they opened in Custom Maps and got transferred into the app's internal storage.

So, if kmz files don't open with your default file manager, you should try Google Files instead.

Marko Teittinen
Author of Custom Maps

calvinw

Nov 5, 2021, 2:39:44 PM11/5/21
to custom-m...@googlegroups.com
I have a note 20 ultra. The latest update can no longer see my maps. With a file viewer. I can clearly see they are on my sd card in a custom maps directory

Marko Teittinen

Nov 5, 2021, 6:54:04 PM11/5/21
to calvinw, Custom Maps users
The latest version (1.8.1) moves (or tries to move) the maps into the app's internal memory. This can fail if the app has lost its permission to read external storage (SD card). The maps need to be moved to internal memory because Google Play rules will no longer allow apps to read or write external memory unless they are file manager apps.

In your case, moving the maps to internal memory failed. You can move the maps one by one if you open them with your file manager. It should either ask you for an app to use to open them, or open them with Custom Maps. If your favorite file manager does not open the map files with Custom Maps, try using Google Files. It understands the kmz extension and correctly passes them to Custom Maps.

If you have a lot of maps, you can try uninstalling Custom Maps, then reinstalling it from the Play Store. Then, before you open Custom Maps, open the Custom Maps app info (long press the Custom Maps icon, and select "App info") and give Custom Maps permission to access all files ("Allow management of all files"). When you launch Custom Maps after that, it should be able to copy your maps to its internal storage, and the maps will show up in the list. Note that Custom Maps has never looked at any other area of the SD card except the CustomMaps folder, so it does not abuse this permission.

Once all the maps show up in the map list inside Custom Maps, you can delete the old map folder and the maps in it on the SD card. You can even remove the file access permission from Custom Maps. It will not need it ever again.

Marko Teittinen