"Start IDE REPL" option in Tools Menu

erich.oliphant

Apr 15, 2021, 8:41:37 PM4/15/21
to Cursive
Hi, I just noticed this.  Was just wondering what purpose it serves as it seems to start a REPL even if the current project isn't clojure

Colin Fleming

Apr 16, 2021, 5:41:47 AM4/16/21
to Cursive Group
That actually opens a REPL on your open IDE instance. I use it for developing and it's occasionally useful for support debugging too. It's usually hidden behind the idea.is.internal flag, which I guess you have on for plugin development.

Relatedly, I have seen your Github issue, and my apologies for taking so long to reply. I meant to update my website with the information but got sidetracked and haven't done that yet. The TL;DR is that I don't recommend using Clojure, I recommend Kotlin since it's by far the best-trodden path and also doesn't suffer from the classloader issues you're experiencing or other problems that Clojure suffers from in this context.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021, at 12:41 AM, erich.oliphant wrote:
Hi, I just noticed this.  Was just wondering what purpose it serves as it seems to start a REPL even if the current project isn't clojure

erich.oliphant

Apr 16, 2021, 10:55:31 AM4/16/21
to Cursive

Ah great, thanks for the info.    That sucks re: clojure for actual plugin dev, I was hoping you'd figured out the secret sauce.  I'd figured out a couple hacks like starting an NREPL server (after setting the context classloader to the plugin class) from my plugin. But still ended up somewhere south of fun.  It's a shame as all that treewalking, transform, etc type stuff is exactly why we love clojure.   Beyond that, Kotlin's my goto when I can't use Clojure so I guess I'll be ok ;)