Cursive 1.13.4-eap1

Cursive

May 19, 2024, 7:03:30 AMMay 19
to cur...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

Cursive 1.13.4-eap1 is out. This release adds support for the new 2024.2 EAP, and has a couple of other changes.

Previously, it was not possible to classify directories synced via deps as resource or test resource roots. This is now fixed, and this change also has improvements to the selection of directories as test roots as well - see #2400 for details.

There's also another change that doesn't have an issue associated with it. A long time ago I added the support for Cursive's REPL, and back then IntelliJ's support for the views in consoles (things like REPLs and run output views) was a lot simpler than it is now. It didn't support some of what I needed for Cursive, so I just copied the code into Cursive and used it there. However, that has become increasingly problematic over time, as IntelliJ added more and more features to their console. They have also become much stricter about use of internal code in plugins and performance-related issues. It was a lot of work to keep up, so I've switched to using their console code and deleted my vendored version. This will have a few effects:

  1. My life will now be easier and more pleasant.
  2. There will hopefully be fewer errors from IntelliJ about Cursive doing things slowly on the Swing dispatch thread.
  3. The REPL output performance will conceivably be better in edge cases like sudden vast amounts of output, although I haven't tested that yet.
  4. The JetBrains marketplace will complain less about compatibility issues when I publish Cursive versions.
  5. Cursive will now be relying on the IntelliJ ANSI code processing. I believe this will probably be a regression, there are a few things that I supported that I believe they don't, although that might be fixable.
  6. Cursive's stack trace filtering will now be slightly worse. Previously it would fold any lines from outside your project, now it will only fold lines from clojure.core. This is what the other language integrations do.
  7. The option to visually separate REPL interactions with a horizontal divider has gone, since I couldn't figure out how to support that.

So, it's not a complete win, but I think it was gradually becoming inevitable, since keeping up with JetBrains' changes was really no longer feasible.

Also, since IntelliJ 2024.1 is now released, I've dropped support for 2023.1.

Here are the issues.

Added

  • Add support for IntelliJ 2024.2 EAP #2904

Changed

  • [Deps] resources dir incorrectly classified in IntelliJ's project structure #2400

Cheers,
Colin

Tamas (onetom) Herman

May 19, 2024, 10:07:49 PMMay 19
to Cursive
This version doesn't seem to be folding the command line, which starts the REPL.
Most of the time not useful to see the whole -classpath, especially unfolded.
Would it be possible to use this java option instead?

    @argument files
                  one or more argument files containing options

--
  tom

Tamas (onetom) Herman

May 19, 2024, 10:15:26 PMMay 19
to Cursive
i see the follow output toggle is also gone.
we were using it from time to time, but not very often.

i tried to puget.printer/cprint a ~3k lines (228kbytes) data structure.

On Sunday, May 19, 2024 at 7:03:30 PM UTC+8 Cursive wrote:
The REPL output performance will conceivably be better in edge cases like sudden vast amounts of output, although I haven't tested that yet.

it took less than a second to print it and the scrolling back and forth is super fast.

Cursive will now be relying on the IntelliJ ANSI code processing. I believe this will probably be a regression, there are a few things that I supported that I believe they don't, although that might be fixable.

i haven't noticed any mis-colorings so far.

--
  tom