Installation on Snow Leopard

Steve Agalloco

Oct 25, 2009, 3:58:27 PM10/25/09
to Curb - Ruby libcurl Bindings
I'm having some issues getting up and running on Snow Leopard. The
gem appears to install fine (I'm installing as referenced in the FAQ:
env ARCHFLAGS=“-arch x86_64” gem install curb)

However, if I bring up a console and attempt to require the library,
it just hangs. I'm not running macports so I haven't touched curl/
libcurl. Do I need to build it from source?

In case this helps, here's the output when I run extconf.rb

checking for curl-config... yes
checking for curlinfo_redirect_time... yes
checking for curlinfo_response_code... yes
checking for curlinfo_filetime... yes
checking for curlinfo_redirect_count... yes
checking for curlinfo_os_errno... yes
checking for curlinfo_num_connects... yes
checking for curlinfo_ftp_entry_path... yes
checking for curl_version_ssl... yes
checking for curl_version_libz... yes
checking for curl_version_ntlm... yes
checking for curl_version_gssnegotiate... yes
checking for curl_version_debug... yes
checking for curl_version_asynchdns... yes
checking for curl_version_spnego... yes
checking for curl_version_largefile... yes
checking for curl_version_idn... yes
checking for curl_version_sspi... yes
checking for curl_version_conv... yes
checking for curlproxy_http... yes
checking for curlproxy_socks4... yes
checking for curlproxy_socks5... yes
checking for curlauth_basic... yes
checking for curlauth_digest... yes
checking for curlauth_gssnegotiate... yes
checking for curlauth_ntlm... yes
checking for curlauth_anysafe... yes
checking for curlauth_any... yes
checking for curle_tftp_notfound... yes
checking for curle_tftp_perm... yes
checking for curle_tftp_diskfull... yes
checking for curle_tftp_illegal... yes
checking for curle_tftp_unknownid... yes
checking for curle_tftp_exists... yes
checking for curle_tftp_nosuchuser... yes
checking for curle_send_fail_rewind... yes
checking for curle_ssl_engine_initfailed... yes
checking for curle_login_denied... yes
checking for curlmopt_maxconnects... yes
checking for curle_conv_failed... yes
checking for curle_conv_reqd... yes
checking for curle_ssl_cacert_badfile... yes
checking for curle_remote_file_not_found... yes
checking for curle_ssh... yes
checking for curle_ssl_shutdown_failed... yes
checking for curle_again... yes
checking for curle_ssl_crl_badfile... yes
checking for curle_ssl_issuer_error... yes
checking for curlm_bad_socket... yes
checking for curlm_unknown_option... yes
checking for curl_multi_timeout()... yes
checking for curl_multi_fdset()... yes
checking for curl_multi_perform()... yes
checking for Ruby 1.9 Hash... no
checking for Ruby 1.9 st.h... yes
checking for curl_easy_escape... yes
creating curb_config.h
creating Makefile

Steve Agalloco

Oct 25, 2009, 11:34:42 PM10/25/09
to Curb - Ruby libcurl Bindings
Turns out I did need to build from source. If you are using homebrew,
I found a formula for it:

http://github.com/adamv/homebrew/blob/duplicates/Library/Formula/curl.rb

Todd Fisher

Oct 26, 2009, 5:00:15 PM10/26/09
to curb---ruby-li...@googlegroups.com
Unless you absolutely need https or other ssl features, i would disable https. it increases the time it takes to create an instance of Curl::Easy by a pretty significant factor, for me it seems to be about 10x difference... As far as I can tell it's in the call to curl_easy_init, which ends up tracing into open ssl...

-Todd