Culturemondo Roundtable 2008 - 4 days to go!

Ruth Harper

Dec 5, 2008, 4:05:33 PM12/5/08
to Culturemondo Network
Dear Culturemondo group members

Apologies for cross-posting, and to anyone who won't be joining us in
Taipei in a few days' time. I am posting this here so that it has an
online home, and hopefully this way everyone will get to see it.

We're very nearly there! 4 days to go before we all meet in Taipei. I
hope you're as excited as I am.

A few final things before we see each other:
- the finalised version of the roundtable agenda is now available on
the Culturemondo website: http://www.culturemondo.org/files/Final%20agenda.pdf
- A flickr group has been set up, where you can send your pictures
from the conference: http://www.flickr.com/groups/967688@N23/
- Flickr and blog tags for the conference are CMRT08
- The Twitter hashtag, for the Twitterati among you, is #CMRT08

Those of us travelling from overseas will all be staying at the
Fullerton East hotel. http://www.taipeifullerton.com.tw/east_32/html/eng_south/about_us.htm

If you have any travel or logistics questions, please contact Mengshan
Lee b911...@gmail.com.

There are two formal functions for all participants to attend.
The first is a reception on Wednesday night (19.00 after 'Cinq a
Sept'), and the dress code is smart-casual.
The second is a formal banquet on Thursday at Shinyeh Restaurant from
18.30 to 21.30 http://www.shinyeh.com.tw/taiwan_d.htm. The dress code
for this is, as Ilya puts it 'Smart ++'.

On Friday, we will all be heading to the hills, to Da Shan Wu Jia, for
dinner. This will be an informal occasion, so no dress code!

There is also the option for all participants to attend Taipei Barcamp
on the evening of Monday 10th December. You can find more information
about barcamps here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BarCamp

Finally, I have received most of the x10 Presentations now, and they
can be found here: http://www.slideshare.net/event/culturemondo-roundtable-taipei-2008/slideshows
If you have not yet submitted a x10 Presentation, I would be very
grateful if you could please do as soon as possible.

I look forward to meeting you all on Tuesday or Wednesday. Wishing you
all a safe (and comfy) journey.

Kind regards

Ruth Harper
Culturemondo Community Manager (UK)

r...@waag.org

Dec 5, 2008, 4:21:57 PM12/5/08
to cultur...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ruth,

If I'm not mistaken, I'm not speaking? I really hesitate to go to Taipei
for a week and not talk?

Greetings, Rob

David Sasaki

Jun 16, 2009, 11:28:36 AM6/16/09
to cultur...@googlegroups.com
Dear Culturemondo Members,

Shahidul Alam, one of the (very entertaining and thoughtful)
participants from our roundtable last year, has been detained by
Indian border security forces while working on the Bangladesh side of
the border:

http://unheardvoice.net/blog/2009/06/16/shahidul-alam/
http://www.mediahelpingmedia.org/content/view/387/1/

His friends and colleagues are "calling on the international community
to push for his release."

Best,

David

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David Sasaki | outr...@globalvoicesonline.org
Director of Rising Voices
http://rising.globalvoicesonline.org
gtalk: osopecoso | skype: elosopecoso
US: +1.510.717.8377 | http://el-oso.net/blog

Ilya Eric Lee

Jun 16, 2009, 2:11:35 PM6/16/09
to cultur...@googlegroups.com, Charles, Meng-shan Lee, 田欣先生
OMG! Thanks for the urgent information and now I am reading more and figuring out something we could do immediately.

Jane, we do need some campaign to support Shahidul. Charles, could you report to Wilson about this situation?

best and warmest, ilya

2009/6/16 David Sasaki <osop...@gmail.com>

--
Duhamel said: "I can no longer think what I want to think.
              My thoughts have been replaced by moving images."

Ilya Eric Lee (Shih-Chieh Li)
http://ilyagram.org/etc/foaf.rdf
Prjt(s) Crdntn: http://openfoundry.org
Tel: +886-2-27883799 ext 2165
Email(Pub|Per): ilya {at} iis.sinica.edu.tw | ilyaericlee {at} gmail.com
PersonalWeblog: http://ilyagram.org
    ___
__ /\_ \
/\_\\//\ \    __  __     __       __   _ __    __      ___ ___
\/\ \ \ \ \  /\ \/\ \  /'__`\   /'_ `\/\`'__\/'__`\  /' __` __`\
\ \ \ \_\ \_\ \ \_\ \/\ \L\.\_/\ \L\ \ \ \//\ \L\.\_/\ \/\ \/\ \
 \ \_\/\____\\/`____ \ \__/.\_\ \____ \ \_\\ \__/.\_\ \_\ \_\ \_\
  \/_/\/____/ `/___/> \/__/\/_/\/___L\ \/_/ \/__/\/_/\/_/\/_/\/_/
                 /\___/          /\____/
                 \/__/           \_/__/

OKP...@aol.com

Jun 16, 2009, 2:30:19 PM6/16/09
to cultur...@googlegroups.com, yeou...@gmail.com, b911...@gmail.com, wilso...@teiatw.org
Dear Ilya, Jane and David,

Thanks for sharing the notice about Shahidul's detention. The recollections of Shahidul from Taipei remain very fresh with me. Kindly advise as to what coordinated effort is being planned to mount an appeal for his safe release and I will be only too ready to join in.

If there is also a way to convey to Shahidul our concerns and support for him, I believe it would be good to do so.

Everyone, warm greetings.

Warmest,

Joe

Dr. Joseph O. Okpaku, Sr.
President and CEO
Telecom Africa International Corporation
222 Forest Avenue
New Rochelle, N. Y. 10804
Tel: work: +1 914 636 6498 / Fax: +1 914 813 2503
Email: okp...@telecomafricainternational.com

In a message dated 6/16/2009 2:12:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, ilyae...@gmail.com writes:
OMG! Thanks for the urgent information and now I am reading more and figuring out something we could do immediately.

Jane, we do need some campaign to support Shahidul. Charles, could you report to Wilson about this situation?

best and warmest, Ilya

An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!

Ilya Eric Lee

Jun 16, 2009, 2:30:41 PM6/16/09
to cultur...@googlegroups.com, Charles, Meng-shan Lee, 田欣先生
dear all Culturemondo members,

According to the update of "The Unheard Voice" posted by David, our friend Dr. Shahidul Alam is released now.

http://unheardvoice.net/blog/2009/06/16/shahidul-alam/
Update 12:01 midnight: Shahidul has been released and is with BDR

We would like to know more about Bangladesh's situation via Dr. Shahidul Alam later and share it online with all our members.

best, ilya

OKP...@aol.com

Jun 16, 2009, 2:38:22 PM6/16/09
to cultur...@googlegroups.com, yeou...@gmail.com, b911...@gmail.com, wilso...@teiatw.org
Great news.

Shahidul, congratulations. Be sure to have some rest and catch your breath.

David et al, thanks for your vigilance.

Warmest,

Joe

Dr. Joseph O. Okpaku, Sr.
President and CEO
Telecom Africa International Corporation
222 Forest Avenue
New Rochelle, N. Y. 10804
Tel: work: +1 914 636 6498 / Fax: +1 914 813 2503
Email: okp...@telecomafricainternational.com

Katelijn Verstraete

Jun 16, 2009, 3:06:07 PM6/16/09
to cultur...@googlegroups.com, yeou...@gmail.com, b911...@gmail.com, wilso...@teiatw.org, G CE
What a good news indeed to hear your are safe, Shahidul and thanks to inform us all about this, David.
warm greetings
katelijn verstraete

Jun 16, 2009, 6:50:32 PM6/16/09
to cultur...@googlegroups.com, yeou...@gmail.com, b911...@gmail.com, wilso...@teiatw.org, G CE
Glad to read the good news from the mail thread - and not the unpleasant one.

Its a great JOY to know you're well, Shahidul!

Cool off with some friends
- and best of luck in all!

Kafui A. Prebbie
=============
www.kafui.comwww.kafui.com/blog

Country Director -
oneVillage Foundation-Ghana  -  www.onevillagefoundation.org
Manager
-  Winneba Open Digital Village  -  www.opendigitalvillage.org

oneVillage Bloghttp://blog.onevillage.tv/
oneVillage Photo Bloghttp://flickr.com/photos/1village/collections/72157603714968802/

Office: +233 (0)432 20 270 -  Fax: +233 (0)432 20 900
Cell:   +233 244 429 448  -  +233 208 165 057
Address: P. O. Box C0 1007, Tema, Ghana - West Africa
Skype: kaprebbie

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to. Thank you.

From: ka...@onevillagefoundation.org
To: cultur...@googlegroups.com; cultur...@googlegroups.com
CC: yeou...@gmail.com; b911...@gmail.com; wilso...@teiatw.org; C...@asef.org

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:50:32 -0700

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out!

Schilling, Thorsten

Jun 17, 2009, 4:00:27 AM6/17/09
to cultur...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning Shahidul,

it is great to read that you are back on the better part of live.

all the best, and thanks to David for the alert
Thorsten

 --
Bundeszentrale fuer politische Bildung
Thorsten Schilling

Adenauer Allee 86
53113 Bonn

Stresemannstrasse 90
10963 Berlin

t: +49 (0)30 254504-421
f: +49 (0)30 254504-422
m: 0160 - 90 50 65 29
e: schi...@bpb.de

http://www.bpb.de
http://www.eurotopics.net

http://www.fluter.de
http://www.hanisauland.de

http://www.wir-waren-so-frei.de
http://www.jugendopposition.de
http://www.chronik-der-mauer.de
http://www.deutschegeschichten.de
http://www.chotzen.de
http://www.juni53.de

Jun 17, 2009, 4:36:45 AM6/17/09
to cultur...@googlegroups.com
That's super to hear that.
I just twittered the case after finding Chinese blogger sharing the same situation. He was taken away by unidentifiable people(policemen) after publishing photos on a local riots.   http://www.danwei.org/internet/netizen_detained_in_nankang_as.php

---Isaac

--
Isaac Mao
========

If you travel to China or can't access some overseas web sites, please prepare to download Tor(http://torproject.org) to get free access to those sites.

Jane Finnis

Jun 17, 2009, 7:13:49 AM6/17/09
to cultur...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David for bringing this to our attention and so glad the news is good on Shahidul's safe release.

It is very comforting to know that this network was so quick to react and offer to work together to support a colleague in need. I hope very much that we will find another time to meet and share our thoughts and ideas freely as we did in Taiwan.

Best wishes to you all, Jane