Africa: Climate Change Mitigation 'Far Cheaper Than Inaction'

Philip Fred

Dec 11, 2012, 2:35:39 AM12/11/12
to comm...@conservation.org, ashoka...@ashoka.org, in...@civilsociety.org.au, in...@arterialnetwork.org, amu...@povertycure.org, OI...@galilcol.ac.il, sgash...@worldbank.org, civils...@worldbank.org, fh...@dmail.ug, cultur...@googlegroups.com, in...@ashoka.org, ndfu...@gmail.com, in...@tonyblairfaithfoundation.org, amu...@acton.org, fredkgeelong

Africa: Climate Change Mitigation 'Far Cheaper Than Inaction'

By Daniela Hirschfeld, 26 October 2012

Tackling the global climate crisis could reap significant economic benefits for both developed and developing countries, according to a new report.

The impacts of climate change and a carbon-intensive economy cost the world around US$1.2 trillion a year - 1.6 per cent of the total global GDP (gross domestic product), states 'Climate Vulnerability Monitor: A Guide to the Cold Calculus of A Hot Planet'.

For this reason, "adapting to climate change is very likely a cost-effective investment in almost all cases and should be central to any climate change policy", the report says.

The new publication was launched during the 67th session of the UN General Assembly, in New York, United States, last month (26 September). It was produced by Development Assistance Research Associates (DARA), an independent aid analysis organisation, and the Climate Vulnerable Forum, a global partnership of nations that are disproportionately affected by global warming.

The authors highlight that shifting the world economy to a low-carbon footing will cost around 0.5 per cent of GDP for the current decade. As the report points out, this is significantly lower than the actual and projected costs of responding to climate change and maintaining a carbon-intensive economy.

The report warns that the impact of the expected increase in temperature and carbon-related pollution could double the actual costs to 3.2 per cent of GDP in 2030, and will cause six million deaths every year, up from 4.5 million each year.

And although developing countries are the most vulnerable, "the world's major economies are in no way spared".

"The United States, China and India in particular are expected to incur enormous losses that in 2030 for these three countries alone will collectively total US$2.5 trillion in economic costs and over 3 million deaths per year," according to the report.

Matthew McKinnon, head of DARA's Climate Vulnerability Initiative team and the report's lead author, told SciDev.Net: "The conclusion contrasts with previous studies that generally justify expenses on climate action today, in relation to damages to be experienced much further down the line. Our estimated damages already far exceed the costs of action on climate change - costs that will only escalate rapidly if action on climate change is not urgently taken."

The report is a follow-up to the Climate Vulnerability Monitor 2010, which was released at the UN Climate Change conference, in Mexico in December 2010.

Supported by high-level and technical panels, the 2012 report is "the most comprehensive ever" assessment of the impact of climate change, because it ranges from human health issues to economic sector pressures, extreme events and environmental concerns, McKinnon said.

"The monitor is unusual in particular for examining the current impact of climate change. Most climate change studies have much longer time horizons, such as 2050, 2100 or 2200," he explained.

José Antonio Milán Pérez, a climate change professor at the University of Commercial Science, Nicaragua, praised the report, saying that it represented "a significant scientific contribution for its comprehensiveness and extensive global and regional levels".

"The method extends the number of indicators, [to include] not only purely economic aspects, but also human aspects," he added, and could act as a "reference for decision-makers".

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201210280436.html-Accessed on 11th/12/2012

FORWARD BY;

REV. PHILIP FRED KATO

MISSIOLOGIST/DEVELOPMENT ECONOMIST/CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGIST

TEAM LEADER

AFRICA FOR CHRIST INTERNATIONAL

SECRETARY GENERAL, UGANDA-KOREA CULTURAL FRIENDSHIP ASSOCIATION

KAMPALA, UGANDA

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Chris Coletta, Conservation International <comm...@conservation.org> wrote:

Protect the Planet Pledge Header
space

Dear Philip Fred,

Cyber Monday Protect an Acre

How's this for a good deal — for you, your loved ones, and our precious planet:

For just $15, you can protect an acre of tropical rainforest with Conservation International in honor of a friend or family member.

Forests keep our climate stable. They help filter the water that comes out of your tap. And they're home to some of the most iconic species on the planet — everything from the pandas of China to the lemurs of Madagascar.

At CI, we're no stranger to keeping our forests alive and thriving. Since our inception 25 years ago, we've helped to protect millions of acres around the world.

Today, you can save another acre of our world's imperiled forests. Considering how valuable they are to us all, $15 to keep an acre standing might be the best bargain you see today.

Give the gift of a healthy planet to someone you love — protect an acre of endangered rainforest in their name now.

When you make your donation, you can send an e-card to let the gift recipient know you're thinking of them. Here's to a happy holiday!

Thanks for everything you do,

Chris_Coletta_Signature

Chris Coletta
Community Manager, Conservation International

twitter.png     facebook.png   email.png

space
space
space
space space
  space

Building upon a strong foundation of science, partnership and field demonstration, CI empowers societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature, our global biodiversity, for the well-being of humanity.

Conservation International is a 501(c)(3) non-profit.

Conservation International
ci_org_blue_footer_bold

2011 Crystal Drive, Suite 500  |  Arlington, VA 22202
Telephone: +1 703 341.2400  |  Toll-free (within the US): +1 800 406.2306

Please review our privacy policy and terms of use.

Donate Unsubscribe Login to CI profile View in a web browser