Culturemondo Network Newsletter 17th November 2008

Ruth Harper

Nov 17, 2008, 12:58:54 PM11/17/08
to Culturemondo Network
Dear Culturemondo Members

For those of you I haven't met yet (which, I think, is most of you!):
Hello, nice to meet you.

I'm Ruth Harper, one of the two new Community Managers (the other
being Charles Chuang, who is based in Taiwan). I work with Jane Finnis
and I'm based in the UK.

Over the next few months, I will be sending regular newsletters to the
group, to update you on what's been going on behind the scenes, up and
coming projects, and to let you know about the tools, sites and issues
that might be interesting or useful.

In future, these newsletters are aimed at getting discussions off the
ground, to help foster conversation and to follow-up on issues raised
at, for example, the roundtable meetings - so please do dive in with
your opinions and expertise.

This time, I have two pieces of news for you:

1. The Taiwan roundtable is nearly upon us! We have a fantastic
schedule of speakers, workshops and networking lined up for the fourth
annual roundtable, which takes place in Taipei from 10th to 12th
December. There are still one or two self-funded places left, so if
you’re quick, you might be able to join us.
You can find more information about the roundtable here:
http://culture-mondo.info/next-roundtable
If you are interested, please get in touch via email (you can email me
off-list at ru...@culture24.org.uk).

2. The 2008 Culturemondo survey is online, and ready to be filled
in.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=eryMN7Eos0Gz5zW3M0PgYg_3d_3d

This year, we are conducting the third survey of our members, to
enable the International Steering Committee (ISC) to benchmark and
track changing trends in digital culture and heritage. This means
finding out who is publishing which websites in which countries, what
issues and challenges they are dealing with and what impact they are
having on their audience. Information about trends in digital culture
(and especially cultural portals) is not easily found, so I'm asking
you to help us in this task by answering a set of simple questions.
The whole survey shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes. The results of
this survey will then be shared with you and others via the
Culturemondo website. They will also feed into the planning of our
future face to face meetings, the international roundtables.

Last but not least, our website has had a bit of a revamp, and is now
chock-full of interesting things. Head over to www.culturemondo.org to
have a look!
The ISC welcomes comments and suggestions, so please get in touch with
me if you have any feedback.

Kind regards

Ruth Harper
Culturemondo Community Manager

Stjepko Varga

Nov 17, 2008, 1:29:56 PM11/17/08
to cultur...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for not being able to attend this year.
I wish you all a very sucesfull round table!

Kind regards,

----
Stjepko Varga
stj...@gmail.com

Jane Finnis

Nov 17, 2008, 2:32:05 PM11/17/08
to cultur...@googlegroups.com
Sorry that you won't be with us, would be great to have an update of
your site to this group if you have the time?

Cheers Jane

Lucía Calvo Bermejo

Nov 18, 2008, 4:04:05 AM11/18/08
to cultur...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

Let me introduce myself because I am new in the list. My name is Lucía Calvo, I write from Barcelona, I am digital journalist and I work in the Centre de Cultura Contermporània de Barcelona (http://www.cccb.org) website. The Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona (CCCB) organizes and produces exhibitions, debates, festivals and concerts, programmes film cycles, courses and lectures, and encourages creation using new technologies and languages. We are planning to change our website and start again with a new project, more ambitous and participative. For this reason, I am very interesting to know what other cultural institutions are museums are doing.

On the other hand, I think that the goals of Culturemondo net are very interesting and useful because it is true that there is a lack of share knowledge in the field of digital cultural communication.

I found your organization by chance, "googling" information about cultural portals statistics. I read your report Cultural Portals - Gateways to a Global Commons and it is really interesting.

For these reasons and also to let you know all you want about CCCB and my experience in digital communication, I would like to join this net. It will be a great opportunity to meet you, learn and know more about your projects.

Kin regards,

Lucía Calvo