CultNEWS101 Articles: 6/20/2024

1 view

Patrick Ryan

Jun 20, 2024, 3:01:17 AMJun 20
to cultn...@googlegroups.com
Event, Documentary "Breath of Fire"

July 4-6, 2024 with pre conference workshops on July 3, 2024
Facultad de Geografía e Historia. Universitat de Barcelona
Montalegre, 6
08001 Barcelona
Register NOW! For more information and to register, visit https://www.icsahome.com/events/conferenceannual

Session Abstract: Religious disaffiliation, leaving a religious community, may lead to a life crisis that is difficult to endure. The results of my dissertation show that clients in this life situation do not receive the support and understanding within health care, which they would need. Also, health care professionals express a need for more education on religious disaffiliation and other related topics. The results of our studies show that both general knowledge about religiosity and spirituality as well as more specific knowledge about religious disaffiliation are needed within health care. Training and education of health care professionals is essential, as knowledge and information increase understanding and competence. Training could involve the following topics: the impact of religious disaffiliation on clients’ lives and mental health, clients with different religious backgrounds and affiliations in health care and information on how to bring up and deal with religious questions. These topics should be included in the basic education of health care professionals, as well as in continuing education. Training and education are needed to decrease the fear to discuss religious matters that some health care professionals may have. There is also a need for health care professionals who are specialized in religious and spiritual subjects and have special competence when it comes to clients who experience challenges because of their religion or religious affiliation. In order to promote clients’ mental health and recovery, further research is needed on recommendations and practical tools that healthcare professionals can use in their work with clients in this context.

Amid a flurry of screenings and parties for the 23rd Tribeca Film Festival, more than 20 filmmakers and Vanity Fair creatives gathered together for a dinner in the sky. Well, not quite that high. But inside the private event space of Four Seasons Hotel Downtown—which, at 926 feet, is the tallest residential tower in downtown Manhattan—you couldn’t help but feel like you were up in the stars, as VF editor in chief Radhika Jones and Condé Nast global head of film & television Helen Estabrook cohosted an intimate affair on Tuesday.

To honor the sold-out Tribeca premiere of Vanity Fair Studios’ documentary Breath of Fire on June 12, directors including Charlotte Wells, a BAFTA Award winner for her debut feature Aftersun, and Frédéric Tcheng, who has made projects about fashion visionaries including Dior, Bethann Hardison, and Halston, mingled with the likes of Rebecca Miller, fresh off her latest film, She Came to Me, alongside director Elegance Bratton and producer Chester Gordon—who broke out with 2022’s The Inspection starring Jeremy Pope.

“We have a lot of studio projects in the works,” says Radhika Jones. “We wanted to mark that occasion, and plan a low-key and fun evening with directors who we really admire and who are doing great work. It felt like a good time to get together and compare notes.”

Whispers about upcoming projects filtered through cocktail hour conversations on the breezy terrace of the Four Seasons, where guests sipped champagne and snacked on passed appetizers of tuna tartare and burrata. Katie Holmes, joined by her personal stylist Brie Welch, chatted with Katie Aselton, who wrote her upcoming project Magic Hour with husband Mark Duplass. Questlove, attending the dinner with intimacy coordinator Laura Desiree, spoke with fellow Oscar winner Jimmy Chin as guests sat down for dinner. (Questlove won an Oscar for producing 2022’s best documentary feature, Summer of Soul, the same award Chin took home in 2019 alongside his personal and professional partner, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi for Free Solo.)

The celebrations all led back to the imminent debut of Breath of Fire, a limited documentary series airing later this year on HBO that explores modern spirituality through the unlikely rise and real-time fall of the guru behind a multibillion dollar wellness empire: kundalini yoga. Based on Hayley Phelan’s exclusive December 2021 story, Jones says the unscripted project “was born as a classic magazine feature and as the story changed and developed, it became clear to us that we wanted to find every way possible for this story to reach a wider audience.”

Breath of Fire codirectors Hayley Pappas and Smiley Stevens were greeted warmly at the dinner, where they reflected on the winding journey toward their latest documentary. Stevens says they were first alerted to the group’s story on Easter Day 2020, although she had already encountered some kundalini followers out in the wild. “I would see the people at Whole Foods wearing all white,” says Stevens. “It’s been a long time coming,” adds Pappas, who described the collaboration between the filmmakers and Phelan as “symbiotic” in nature. “We had done a lot of development work in one world, and Hayley Phelan had secured a lot of access in another world, so it ended up being really complementary.”

As the first course of summer bean salad was being served, Estabrook—joined by Sarah Amos and Jodi Hildebrand, who lead unscripted and scripted television and film projects at Condé Nast, respectively—delivered brief opening remarks. Estabrook pointed to Breath of Fire as an example “of exactly what we’re trying to do within Vanity Fair Studios, which is tell stories that are fascinating and emotional and resonant.”

News, Education, Intervention, Recovery

CultEducationEvents.com

CultMediation.com

Intervention101.com to help families and friends understand and effectively respond to the complexity of a loved one's cult involvement.

CultRecovery101.com assists group members and their families make the sometimes difficult transition from coercion to renewed individual choice.

CultNEWS101.com news, links, resources.

Facebook

Flipboard

Twitter

Instagram

Cults101.org resources about cults, cultic groups, abusive relationships, movements, religions, political organizations and related topics.

Selection of articles for CultNEWS101 does not mean that Patrick Ryan or Joseph Kelly agree with the content. We provide information from many points of view in order to promote dialogue.

Please forward articles that you think we should add to cultinte...@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Ashlen Hilliard (ashlen.hilli...@gmail.com)

Joe Kelly (joeke...@gmail.com)

Patrick Ryan (pryan...@gmail.com)

If you do not wish to be subscribed to this list, or you think you are being maliciously subscribed to the list, or have any other questions, send them to: pryan...@gmail.com or send an email to: cultnews101...@googlegroups.com.