Oxford to Culham (road route)

Richard

Jul 11, 2012, 8:34:20 AM7/11/12
to culham-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone is aware of a current campaign to improve (or indeed install) the cycle route from Oxford to Culham by road?

I regularly cycle from Littlemore to work and have tried many different routes but have found that the quickest, and the one which does not require an off-road bike, is straight along the A4074 to the Golden Balls round-about, taking a right to Clifton Hampden and right again along the A415 to the Lab. However, this route is pretty dangerous at the best of times since the A4074 is an extremely busy road to cycle along and there are no designated or segregated cycle paths.

To this end, I am keen to take part or even start a campaign to improve the safety of cyclists along this route. I assume the official body to direct a campaign to would be Oxfordshire County Council. Any comments?

Rich R

Rich Kemp

Aug 20, 2012, 10:07:26 AM8/20/12
to culham-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rich,

Sorry about the slow response...! OCC is the right body: it's best to identify your local councillor and speak directly to them for major work.

Regards,
Rich

Vaughan

Aug 21, 2012, 7:48:45 AM8/21/12
to culham-...@googlegroups.com
I would like to add my voice to the concern about danger on the roads to Oxford.  When I have the time, and it's not too wet, I much prefer the off-road route shown in http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2351925.  The off-road section from Culham to Nuneham Courtenay takes about 5 minutes longer than the road route and is only suitable for mountain bikes but is much more pleasant.  It does get over-grown but OCC did make improvements a couple of years ago.

Vaughan Thompson

Martin Cuddy

Mar 22, 2018, 5:24:29 PM3/22/18
to Culham Cyclists (CulBUG)
I'm pretty interested in a more direct cycle friendly route from Oxford (live in Kennington), I'm hoping some of the future science vale improvements might bring developments.
I noticed a suggested bridge from Radley lakes across the Thames to the mx park in the 2016 culham travel plan, does anyone know a anything about this?