A415 Bike Path

Peter Knight

Apr 28, 2020, 6:47:10 AM4/28/20
to Culham Cyclists (CulBUG)
(Posted on behalf of Robin Tucker, Chair, Oxfordshire Cycling Network)

You may be aware of the Didcot and Surrounding consultation: https://consultations.oxfordshire.gov.uk/consult.ti/DidcotAreaInfrastructureUpdate/consultationHome

In general this is building more roads, although the cycling facilities proposed are good.  But it will add traffic to the A415.

So I am using it to call for a full cycle path on the A415 from Abingdon to Culham SC, and on to Berinsfield.

(My full input attached)

Please echo this call.  Every cycle commuter, or potential one, who supports it adds to the chance of it happening.  The deadline is Thursday 30th April.

For a quick input I suggest the following, but if you can use your own words it is even better:

  • A4130 widening: Support.  Science Bridge.  Support.  Add connection to Milton Road.
  • Didcot to Culham.  Support. This will add traffic on the A415 so it is essential that a safe cycle path is created from Abingdon to Culham Science Centre and Clifton Hampden as part of this scheme.
  • Clifton Hampden Bypass. Support. Use the old A415 to create a safe cycle route from Clifton Hampden to Berensfield and Dorchester.
  • Throughout: Ensure the roundabouts are designed to encourage lower speed approaches.  Have non-stop cycling priority across side roads wherever possible, as is already done in several places, for example by using Parallel crossings.

Best wishes and stay safe,

Robin

Robin Tucker

Chair, Oxfordshire Cycling Network

O...@cyclingukoxfordshire.org

Twitter: @OxonCyclingNet

07901 622622
OCN Response to Didcot and Surrounds Update (HIF1) April 2020.docx

cud...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2020, 4:50:37 AM11/16/20
to Culham Cyclists (CulBUG)
Hi, I think as part of the science vale cycle network there are plans to make/upgrade a path East from Abingdon to Radley lakes and then cross the Thames at the Motocross site (route 7c possibly)

This would be quite nice being away from the road entirely.

Details seem a bit sketchy though, I was wondering if anyone at Culham was directly updated/consulted about these plans as the main stakeholder of such a route?

Thanks,
Martin

Ben Poole

Mar 31, 2021, 5:04:25 AM3/31/21
to Culham Cyclists (CulBUG)
Hi All,

Has there been any update at all on this? Especially now the local plan has been approved by the council? There's mention of the river crossing on the Didcot side of site but a bridge next to the railway on the Radley side of site looks a lot further down the line.

Best wishes,
Ben

Martin Cuddy

Mar 31, 2021, 6:28:34 AM3/31/21
to Culham Cyclists (CulBUG)
Hi, it all seems a bit quiet on here.

I don't know who the main contacts are at UKAEA, but I assume there must be someone or some group that are in the loop on the plans for improving connection to Culham via the science vale network etc.

It would be good to get some updates from UKAEA on these issues rather than just hearing about it from the council when work is underway.

Cheers,
Martin

Ben Poole

Jun 23, 2021, 4:26:52 AM6/23/21
to Culham Cyclists (CulBUG)
Hi All,

As I'm sure those of you who have been cycling to site recently have noticed, the hedges along the A415 bike path are dangerously overgrown. The cow parsley hangs almost all the way across the path. It's particularly bad in the rain. I got some caught in my front wheel on Friday when it was raining and nearly fell into the road. I was last on site on Monday and it was no better!

It would be useful if people could flag this up on the fixmystreet website to really demonstrate the urgency of the situation to the council.

Thanks,
Ben