[Cucumber:4298] [ANN] CukeBins 0.1

Paolo

May 3, 2010, 10:27:05 AM5/3/10
to Cukes
Hello everybody,

After a few evenings and weekends of work, I'm glad to announce the
first release of CukeBins: a library to support writing Cucumber step
definitions in C++.

The GitHub project page is http://github.com/paoloambrosio/cukebins

There is still no documentation, but if you want to get your feet wet,
you can take a look at the sample Calculator application. It uses the
feature definitions from Cuke4Nuke Calc example, but of course it was
reimplemented in C++. You can also find a small list of missing
features in the current implementation in the project wiki.

Technically...

CukeBins was designed to support several testing backends and
communication methods, but for now there is just one implementation
using GTest (Google C++ Testing Framework) as a testing framework and
the Wire Protocol to interact with Cucumber.

Unfortunately i have not been very agile: some unit and integration
test were written after the actual code they are testing, and there
are still no acceptance/end-to-end tests. I apologize but it was my
first TDD experiment in C++ and it has not been an easy task. Also the
code is far from being perfect, but I hope the hardcore C++ developers
can forgive me, and perhaps contribute if they think the project has
potential.

CukeBins was tested on:
- Ubuntu 9.10 32bit, gcc 4.4.1
- Ubuntu 10.04 64bit, gcc 4.4.3
- Windows XP 32bit, Visual Studio 9 (WireServerTest fails [1])

Thanks,
Paolo

1: The two socket server tests fail on Windows. There seems to be a
problem in the testing methods, since the software is working, and I'd
appreciate if someone could take a look at it.

Robert Hanson

May 3, 2010, 10:42:16 AM5/3/10
to cu...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a really cool addition to the cucumber family. And don't sweat the small stuff...

aslak hellesoy

May 3, 2010, 4:51:23 PM5/3/10
to cu...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Paolo <paolo.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> After a few evenings and weekends of work, I'm glad to announce the
> first release of CukeBins: a library to support writing Cucumber step
> definitions in C++.
>
> The GitHub project page is http://github.com/paoloambrosio/cukebins
>
> There is still no documentation, but if you want to get your feet wet,

If you write documentation in your wiki I'd be happy to make this part
of the static cucumber site I'm working on. As an official Cucumber
offspring and all that.

> you can take a look at the sample Calculator application. It uses the
> feature definitions from Cuke4Nuke Calc example, but of course it was
> reimplemented in C++. You can also find a small list of missing
> features in the current implementation in the project wiki.
>

> Technically...
>
> CukeBins was designed to support several testing backends and
> communication methods, but for now there is just one implementation
> using GTest (Google C++ Testing Framework) as a testing framework and
> the Wire Protocol to interact with Cucumber.
>
> Unfortunately i have not been very agile: some unit and integration
> test were written after the actual code they are testing, and there
> are still no acceptance/end-to-end tests. I apologize but it was my
> first TDD experiment in C++ and it has not been an easy task. Also the
> code is far from being perfect, but I hope the hardcore C++ developers
> can forgive me, and perhaps contribute if they think the project has
> potential.

I don't know C++ to save my own life, but the code looks very
understandable and clean to me!

Aslak

Paolo Ambrosio

May 8, 2010, 9:50:17 AM5/8/10
to cu...@googlegroups.com
First I want to thank Robert and Aslak for their support.

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:51 PM, aslak hellesoy
<aslak.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you write documentation in your wiki I'd be happy to make this part
> of the static cucumber site I'm working on. As an official Cucumber
> offspring and all that.

I wrote some documentation on the project wiki:

http://wiki.github.com/paoloambrosio/cukebins/

It's not much, but I guess it's everything needed to use CukeBins :-)

I have not received any sign of anyone even trying to compile it, so I
don't know if there is something else I should write.

Paolo