Move cujojs support to Stack Overflow?

unscriptable

Jun 20, 2014, 9:03:13 AM6/20/14
to cuj...@googlegroups.com
Google Groups has been buggy and hard to use for a long, long time.  I've seen other teams successfully move over to SO to provide support.  I'd like to open a discussion about moving cujojs support over to SO.

Thoughts?  Questions?  Opinions?

-- John

Brian Cavalier

Jun 20, 2014, 9:43:03 AM6/20/14
to cuj...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for moving somewhere else.  GG doesn't have good support for discussing code, which we need to do *a lot*.  It also seems to be on life support rather than getting any updates from google.  I don't really use SO that much, but it does seem to have high visibility and a lot of mindshare.

unscriptable

Jun 20, 2014, 10:02:44 AM6/20/14
to cuj...@googlegroups.com
We would need to create tags on SO, which requires a user with at least 1500 points.  I don't have enough.

Scott Andrews

Jun 20, 2014, 12:53:51 PM6/20/14
to cuj...@googlegroups.com
I don't even have an account on SO (hangs head in shame), but I'll follow if you want to jump.

-Scott

Hendrik Jan van Meerveld

Jun 22, 2014, 4:34:49 AM6/22/14
to cuj...@googlegroups.com
I regularly use SO and find it very useful to find answers (but am only halfway 1500 reputation so cannot create tags).
These are just thoughts:

In my opinion SO has a different purpose than GG.
GG is more like a discussion place, while SO is more like a Question-Answer place.

Some components of Cujojs have tags on SO:

  • curljs
  • when-js
  • wirejs

These tags seem to be more specific than "cujojs" and therefore to be the tags to use.

You could subscribe to these tags (if you didn't already) and answer questions.

You could also search for "cujojs" on SO and answer the unanswered questions that that brings up.

The tag "Wirejs" doesn't have a wiki entry (no info attached), so you could add information to that tag.

Kind regards,
Hendrik Jan

unscriptable

Jun 23, 2014, 10:00:08 AM6/23/14
to cuj...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the excellent suggestions, Hendrik.

We subscribed to these tags when we discovered that somebody created them and people were using them.  :)

I submitted an improvement for the culjs tag wiki.  We'll see if it gets accepted.  We're going to need a lot more tags, somehow.  I have less than 700 points. :/

-- John

Dario Cangialosi

Feb 24, 2015, 12:34:57 PM2/24/15
to cuj...@googlegroups.com