Cujo plans

Gehan Gonsalkorale

Aug 15, 2013, 5:25:32 PM8/15/13
to cuj...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

What are you plans for the future of cujo etc? As I think you've noticed I love using wire, cram, curl and don't mind making suggestions/fixes so I would love to see your stuff become more widely adopted.

At the moment there are various JS frameworks, mostly crap and badly written. Apparently Angular is well written but it has some weird concepts and I don't like how it's structured really. They have dependency injection but it's nothing as powerful as wire etc. There is a real need for something like that. Point is I think there is some serious potential here.

Anyway I was thinking about a JS library that I used to love that has effectively died a death - MooTools. It was well written but they had poor docs, didn't engage the community and so on.

There is a discussion here in the following link but one of the old contributors but gave a nice list of priorities for successful open source development:

   1. Empower the community, both the developers and the users (see http://communityovercode.com/).
   2. Make it predictable; roadmaps and clear upgrade paths are mandatory
   3. Make it easy to learn and use
   4. Make the code good

I'm not saying this would happen to you however I'm wondering what your plans are to spread your work!

I noticed you have cujojs.com which is a nice start although it doesn't have the easiest tutorials and I'm not sure it gets across the true potential for cujojs. I'm actually going to write a load of docs/tutorials to explain wire etc to our other developers and make a little seed app. We have a lack of frontend engineers but I'm trying to explain to our backend devs that it's just code and that they can do it too.

If you're interested I could show you what I come up with. I think the best thing to do it start with curl/wire and loaaads of examples. It's easy to forget how confusing it is at the start with no tutorials!

Gehan

unscriptable

Aug 16, 2013, 11:59:23 AM8/16/13
to cuj...@googlegroups.com
Hey Gehan,

Excellent points!

Yes. Roadmap. Yes! :)

Any ideas how can empower the community better?

We're working on the tutorials and samples.  They're a lot of work, as you know.  What? You don't like our tutorials?  Sure, we need more, but I thought we had a good start. :)

We would love to see your samples, docs, and tutorials.  We'd like them even better if you'd let us post them to know.cujojs.com. :D

-- John