CUGOS this week! (PIZZA, gvsig, postgres+arcsde, node.js!)

Dane Springmeyer

Nov 15, 2010, 4:47:27 PM11/15/10
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source, pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Fellow Cugosians,

Same time, same place this week: 6pm at the offices of LizardTech, this Wednesday the 17th.

It's a pizza party this week, so come hungry and bring a few bucks to chip in :)

If the door is locked, call the # on the street-side sign for CUGOS.

We've got THREE talks lined up:

1) Mike Babb from the UW (CSDE http://csde.washington.edu/) has been designing a complete 2000 US Census geodatabase with PostgreSQL+ArcSDE, and is going to run us through the details!

2) Karsten Vennemann of http://terragis.net is going to debrief us on the newest GvSIG goodness

3) Dane has been working with Node.js (http://nodejs.org/) lately and will give a sneak peak of a new mapping framework available. Think map rendering in pure javascript outside the browser.

Dane

jharpster

Nov 16, 2010, 10:16:25 AM11/16/10
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
I'll be there tonight. Looking forward to catching up with everyone!

On Nov 15, 1:47 pm, Dane Springmeyer <d...@dbsgeo.com> wrote:
> Fellow Cugosians,
>
> Same time, same place this week: 6pm at the offices of LizardTech, this Wednesday the 17th.
>
> It's a pizza party this week, so come hungry and bring a few bucks to chip in :)
>
> If the door is locked, call the # on the street-side sign for CUGOS.
>
> We've got THREE talks lined up:
>
> 1) Mike Babb from the UW (CSDEhttp://csde.washington.edu/) has been designing a complete 2000 US Census geodatabase with PostgreSQL+ArcSDE, and is going to run us through the details!
>
> 2) Karsten Vennemann ofhttp://terragis.netis going to debrief us on the newest GvSIG goodness

jharpster

Nov 16, 2010, 10:18:45 AM11/16/10
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
Actually I mean tomorrow night. Of course.

On Nov 16, 7:16 am, jharpster <jubal_harps...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'll be there tonight. Looking forward to catching up with everyone!
>
> On Nov 15, 1:47 pm, Dane Springmeyer <d...@dbsgeo.com> wrote:
>
> > Fellow Cugosians,
>
> > Same time, same place this week: 6pm at the offices of LizardTech, this Wednesday the 17th.
>
> > It's a pizza party this week, so come hungry and bring a few bucks to chip in :)
>
> > If the door is locked, call the # on the street-side sign for CUGOS.
>
> > We've got THREE talks lined up:
>
> > 1) Mike Babb from the UW (CSDEhttp://csde.washington.edu/) has been designing a complete 2000 US Census geodatabase with PostgreSQL+ArcSDE, and is going to run us through the details!
>
> > 2) Karsten Vennemann ofhttp://terragis.netisgoing to debrief us on the newest GvSIG goodness

EliL

Nov 17, 2010, 6:10:21 PM11/17/10
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
Cugosians (and northerly neighbors),
As many of you know, your neighbors to the south are working on
organizing as a formal OSGeo local chapter. Part of the process
requires that we don't geographically overlap any other local
chapters. To that end, we would need to have CUGOS not claim the
Oregon area or become the Oregon sub-chapter of CUGOS. You can see
some of our deliberations on the PDX OSGIS list.

Despite your already busy looking meeting, could you spend a few
minutes on this topic and determine if CUGOS has a preference one way
or the other (not claiming Oregon as part of the CUGOS region or
having an Oregon sub-chapter)? Thanks for your thoughts.

Bests, Eli

On Nov 16, 7:18 am, jharpster <jubal_harps...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Actually I mean tomorrow night. Of course.
>
> On Nov 16, 7:16 am, jharpster <jubal_harps...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'll be there tonight. Looking forward to catching up with everyone!
>
> > On Nov 15, 1:47 pm, Dane Springmeyer <d...@dbsgeo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Fellow Cugosians,
>
> > > Same time, same place this week: 6pm at the offices of LizardTech, this Wednesday the 17th.
>
> > > It's a pizza party this week, so come hungry and bring a few bucks to chip in :)
>
> > > If the door is locked, call the # on the street-side sign for CUGOS.
>
> > > We've got THREE talks lined up:
>
> > > 1) Mike Babb from the UW (CSDEhttp://csde.washington.edu/) has been designing a complete 2000 US Census geodatabase with PostgreSQL+ArcSDE, and is going to run us through the details!
>
> > > 2) Karsten Vennemann ofhttp://terragis.netisgoingto debrief us on the newest GvSIG goodness

Michael P. Gerlek

Nov 17, 2010, 6:35:58 PM11/17/10
to EliL, Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
Eli:

I don't think we have any hegemonic designs on anything south of the Columbia, but I'll bring the topic up tonight!

-mpg

percy

Nov 17, 2010, 7:07:36 PM11/17/10
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
You'll actually have to cede all of Clark County to us, as well!
:-)

We have at least two regularly attending members from there!

Wish I was there eating pizza!
Cheers,
Percy

karsten

Nov 18, 2010, 3:46:15 AM11/18/10
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
Hi All,

I take a stab at summarizing our meeting tonight , so here it goes:

We had a great turn out, most probably this was the largest group so
far this year and if I am not mistaken we had 24 people tonight.
Certainly due to a good line up of talks and last not least because of
great Pizza. Thanks to Michael G. for ordering and Dane for
coordinating the meeting agenda. Here goes our agenda:

1. Housekeeping:
Michael Gerlek will keep the OSGEO banner and booth materials and take
them home to Bainbridge since he will be leaving Lizardtech at the end
of the year and join the ever growing group of freelance GIS
developers/consultants - branching out on this own. Good luck with the
new business and if anyone needs the OSGEO booth materials - or expert
programming services - you now know their whereabouts and whom to
contact ;)

2. Re the request of our friends from Portland PDX becoming an OS
Chapter: We decided unanimously to not be claiming Oregon as part of
the CUGOS region. Long live OSGEO Oregon/PDX chapter - or whatever the
new name will be ;)

3. Dane introduced us to the world of server side JavaScript using
node.JS . My understanding of this is obviously lacking and it would
be great Dane if you can add a link to your slides somewhere to this
thread later. Just so much: using the Google open source V8 (nah not
the veggie juice) library (written inC++) and node.JS its is possible
to potentially create super fast server side programs that are
asynchronous, operating system independent, non threaded but instead
using loops and callback functionality (in each function) to make "non-
blocking" programming possible... V8 takes your JS code and translates
to blazing fast assembly code...

4. Myself (Karsten) gave a short overview and introduction slide show
+ short demo of gvSIG v 1.10 (and related products) of the gvSIG
association. In summary gvSIG is a pretty complete GIS product and
getting close to be able to cover most of the functionality that
ArcGIS has to offer including nice cartography , labeling and so on.
Slides (some more than I actually showed) can be found here
http://www.terragis.net/docs/presentations/IntroTogvSIG_short.pdf .
After the gvSIG talk I showed the results of two online surveys about
Open Source Training and Support I started last week. The survey was
intended for potential attendees of OS GIS training classes and to
find out more about potential attendees interests, their backgrounds,
how OS is of interest/ or not of interest to their organization. So
far more than 100 people took the survey and I will add a link to the
results to this thread when I have compiled all results into one set
of slides next week. So far some findings are
- the is far greater interests in OS web GIS tools then in desktop
tools
- most people prefer 1 day or 2 day classes over longer ones
- PostGIS, MapServer/GeoServer and OpenLayers are winners ;( at least
according to the survey the most appealing software packages for users
to take a training in (those got the largest number of votes)
- many people indicated that "better knowledge of the advantages of OS
GIS by their management could potentially increase the use of OS (hey
we need to do more effective marketing !)

5. Mike Babb from the UW showed a great slide presentation and live
demo of a complete 2000 US Census his team has been working on since
this summer. It's an ArcSde geodatabase (PostgreSQL/ArcSDE)and Mike
showed some of the options a user has to use and visualize the data in
GIS, R, SAS, Access, Excel ... using the PostgreSQL ODBC driver on
windows. There is an ArcGIS Server implementation planned that will
enable services around the geodatabase. For more details - Mike can
you also add a link to your slides to this thread that would be great

6. We convened the meeting around 8 pm American/ 20:00 European time
format and proceeded to practically study some NW microbrews and other
hops based beverages at the Owl'n Thistle afterwards.
Cheers !

PS next CUGOS meeting will be in January...
See all of you next year the latest ;)

Michael P. Gerlek

Nov 18, 2010, 11:48:45 AM11/18/10
to karsten, Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
Great summary, Karsten, thanks! -- and here's a couple other notes:

* We discussed the idea of doing a joint sprint/lab/whatever meeting, perhaps an overnighter, down in Centralia with our friends from PDX.

* We raised an extra $40 in pizza money -- I should have been keeping more careful count, but thanks to all who gave generously! I will save the funds for snacks or beers or something for the January meeting.

* If you've got something you think you'd like to present at the next meeting: don't be shy, we're a very friendly/forgiving audience.

(Finally, on a personal note, thanks to all who wished me well on my new venture -- I appreciate the votes of confidence!)

-mpg

karsten

Nov 18, 2010, 12:50:21 PM11/18/10
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
and here is a link for the online seminar "GeoTech Webinar Series:
Open Source GIS and Web Mapping" I mentioned yesterday
This one is about experiences the Central New Mexico Community College
GIT Program had with an OS class this summer.

Event Details

With support from the GeoTech Center, the Central New Mexico Community
College GIT Program introduced a new course during the Summer 2010
term: GIS2096 - Introduction to Open Source GIS and Web Mapping.
This webinar will cover the curriculum, lessons learned, the overall
success of the course and how it fits in to the CNM GIT Program.

Presenters: Amy Ballard & Kurt Menke
Time: 11:00am - 12:00pm Central
Date: Monday, November 22, 2010
Register here http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1047662587

karsten

Nov 21, 2010, 2:38:40 AM11/21/10
to Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source
Ok the slides of the short online survey about Open Source GIS
Training (that was answered by potential students) are done:
http://www.terragis.net/docs/presentations/os_gis_training_survey_2010.pdf
I'm curious to hear what you think about the responses ...