Is a font-smoothing script a new option now?

MauiMan2

May 27, 2012, 6:28:42 PM5/27/12
to cufón
Hi Simo,

I recently came across somebody touting a font-smoothing script, where
you could implement your own custom font into a website using @font-
face but the script would make it appear as smooth as possible.
However, the page where they were talking about this didn't even show
any working example and I got no response when trying to contact the
author. As I've talked about before here I love cufón but it does have
limitations but @font-face has different limitations. Do you know if
you would be able to apply your JavaScript expertise to create an
actual working font-smoothing script solution?

Christian

Simo Kinnunen

May 27, 2012, 10:42:12 PM5/27/12
to cu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Maybe it was using the text-rendering CSS property to achieve smoother rendering. It's also possible to achieve strong anti-aliasing by having multiple text layers on top of each other. SVG might also allow easier text modification. Difficult to say really...

To be honest I don't really have any time to work on Cufón anymore. It feels foolish to spend any more time working on something that will eventually be completely replaced by standards. It was good in the past, but with the current level of font-face support, text replacement is becoming obsolete as it usually causes additional troubles.

Simo

iPhoneから送信

MauiMan2

May 28, 2012, 12:43:37 PM5/28/12
to cufón
That's why I'm suggesting something other than Cufón. @font-face is
great . . . or it would be great if it displayed well, but a lot of
the time it doesn't . . . without implementing workarounds that you
hope will actually do what they say.

On May 27, 7:42 pm, Simo Kinnunen <sor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe it was using the text-rendering CSS property to achieve smoother rendering. It's also possible to achieve strong anti-aliasing by having multiple text layers on top of each other. SVG might also allow easier text modification. Difficult to say really...
>
> To be honest I don't really have any time to work on Cufón anymore. It feels foolish to spend any more time working on something that will eventually be completely replaced by standards. It was good in the past, but with the current level of font-face support, text replacement is becoming obsolete as it usually causes additional troubles.
>
> Simo
>
> iPhoneから送信

MauiMan2

May 28, 2012, 12:52:39 PM5/28/12
to cufón
Think I tried the "text-rendering" CSS before and didn't see much of a
difference. Maybe will try it again.

On May 27, 7:42 pm, Simo Kinnunen <sor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe it was using the text-rendering CSS property to achieve smoother rendering. It's also possible to achieve strong anti-aliasing by having multiple text layers on top of each other. SVG might also allow easier text modification. Difficult to say really...
>
> To be honest I don't really have any time to work on Cufón anymore. It feels foolish to spend any more time working on something that will eventually be completely replaced by standards. It was good in the past, but with the current level of font-face support, text replacement is becoming obsolete as it usually causes additional troubles.
>
> Simo
>
> iPhoneから送信

Safalta

May 29, 2012, 9:16:12 AM5/29/12
to cufón
Pardon me but I really don't find any better smoothing option than
Cufon offers. Or?

On 28 maj, 04:42, Simo Kinnunen <sor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe it was using the text-rendering CSS property to achieve smoother rendering. It's also possible to achieve strong anti-aliasing by having multiple text layers on top of each other. SVG might also allow easier text modification. Difficult to say really...
>
> To be honest I don't really have any time to work on Cufón anymore. It feels foolish to spend any more time working on something that will eventually be completely replaced by standards. It was good in the past, but with the current level of font-face support, text replacement is becoming obsolete as it usually causes additional troubles.
>
> Simo
>
> iPhoneから送信

MauiMan2

May 30, 2012, 1:14:03 PM5/30/12
to cufón
Yes, cufón does the best at smoothing but Simo doesn't want to support
it any longer and it's hard or impossible to add certain effects to
cufón text.

Simo Kinnunen

May 30, 2012, 1:27:37 PM5/30/12
to cu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Well that's not entirely true. I still plan on making new releases, but at my own pace, just for the fun of it. The problem right now is that with all the time that has passed, there have been so many new major browser versions that testing by hand is next to impossible. It's a bit of a pain to test graphics, so I didn't originally write automated tests at all.

Simo