Following sports teams

1 view

Margo Macdonald

Apr 8, 2024, 7:50:35 AMApr 8
to Apple Inc.
I am so happy that SC Women’s basketball won their game. Some of you may have forgotten how much fun it was to follow teams before the business of sports overtook sports. Now college sports is big business and players are just pieces on some business person’s chess board. Winning becomes a game of tax write offs.

This is true of many of the sports teams at USC (the original USC), however, it is not true of the women’s basketball team because of the core belief of Dawn Staley. To her it is a team that builds a winning season. Her leadership is strong and means that the players and parents she recruits understand and must accept this core belief. When Dawn has issues with how a player performs, she talks to the player and the parents of the player. The player has to put aside their need for stardom and their ego needs. You will not find the media talking about just one player and if and when that happens (Aliyah Boston last year) the conversation by Coach Staley and/or the players is always steered toward the team.

They have their dramas and faults but they have discovered how to play as a team. When the media encourages stardom, the team understands their individual roll for the team and focuses on the idea of team. It brings on the same feelings of the fun we had as younger people with our teams.

Paul said he watched HS basketball teams as it was not ruined by all that other stuff. I understand what that means. I no longer am interested in the Masters, the Super Bowl or the professional Final Four. Media has acted as barker men for the State Fair Side Shows, and the show is a disappointment. It leaves you feeling empty and washed out. I have never gone to a side show. I understood that whatever those people were selling was not for me. (The voices of the barkers are heard today.)

Following Dawn’’s team is never empty. You are filled with admiration for these young women with their eye winkers and bosom smashers. Dawn more than anyone understood Caitlin Clark’s dilemma and made a point of saying the she “carried a heavy load” and thanked her for bringing eyes to the sport.

I will watch the professional women, but it is not the same. Consider me a FAM.

Margo

Paul Sisco

Apr 8, 2024, 8:18:39 AMApr 8
to cub...@googlegroups.com
You have a team and coach you can be proud of, Margo. We’re in Lexington KY heading for Columbus Indiana for the eclipse. It seemed to be a good place from what I found on the internet last night but we’ll see. We’re staying there tonight so we don’t have to fight the traffic jams this afternoon.

Paul

Margo Macdonald

Apr 8, 2024, 9:10:26 AMApr 8
to cubs63@googlegroups.com Inc.

Raymond Spence

Apr 8, 2024, 9:21:35 AMApr 8
to Cubs 63
We are in Greer's Ferry, AR on the same mission.

Paul, I hope you and we have nice weather for the event.

We are overlooking the lake but will go to the other side of the house to avoid the lights from the boats.

Raymond