Trip to Spain

Dean Pope

Jun 2, 2024, 2:01:07 PMJun 2
to cub...@googlegroups.com
Julie, I just got back from another wonderful trip to Spain with the family. — Madrid, Toledo and Segovia with La Granja Palace. At Toledo my granddaughters zip lined across the Tagus River, while I declined.  We of course visited the Prado. I also was most impressed with the breadth and depth of the Thyssen’s collections.  Two of the best restaurants we visited are oldies that you have probably visited, Casa Lucio in Madrid and Meson de Candido in Segovia, whose founder  is immortalized in statuary in one of the town squares complete with four of his famous slow cooked piglets. Have you ever been to Corral de La Morelia, which combines top notch food with magnificent Spanish dancing? It is near the Royal Palace. I had forgotten how wonderful— and essential — are Madrid’s trees, in parks,
Public  places and streets large and small.  My hat is off to the Spanish Ministry of Trees.
And let me recommend a book, “The Penguin History  of Modern Spain, 1898 to the Present,”by Nigel Townson of the Complutense University of Madrid.  A first rate and balanced account of the entire period, especially good on the two decades before the Spanish Civil War. There were no good guys in the Spanish Civil War. Paul, I think you would enjoy it also. I know that you are eager to visit the Valley of the Fallen now that General Franco, like numerous Confederate generals, has been disinterred.
Taylor Swift’s concert visit overlapped with ours, but we did not run into her.

Dean

Sent from my iPad

On May 29, 2024, at 4:05 PM, 'Julie Johnson' via Cubs63 <cub...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Happy birthday, Pat!
Julie

Jun 3, 2024, 4:53:28 PMJun 3
to cub...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dean,

It sounds like you really had a great time traveling around Spain.  Spain welcomes visitors and rarely disappoints.  The many places that you mention take me back to the summer when I rented a car and drove all over the country with my father.  I have not been to the restaurants that you name; however, I will make a note to check out your recommendations when I return.

In April, I spent 10 days in Sicily.  I went back to all my favorite places, Taormina, Palermo, Agrigento and added Siracusa to my itinerary.  The archaeological park there is amazing and a beautiful example of the cultural diversity of the island.  I also took a little excursion of my own on the day other members of my group went to Mt. Etna.  If you happen to be a fan of The Godfather movies, you would have enjoyed it.  About 30 minutes out of Taormina is the little town where Michael and Apolonia were married.  It is a charming place and I got to visit Vitelli's bar and the interior of the little church.  The scenery on the way over there was spectacular with a great view of a snowcapped Mt Etna.

Thanks a lot, Dean, for the inspiring account of your travels,
Julie